1998 Polo fan issues

Jay_K
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

1998 Polo fan issues

Post by Jay_K »

Hi Gents,

question.

my polo classic when sitting in traffic gets quite warm( as of saturday)

the fan only kicks in when the gauge is on 100.

and the fans kick in very heavily, and very noisy.

The fans are not on for more then 30 seconds, the temp drops back to 90.

and repeat.....

if this is the thermostat, where exactly is it situated?

i was told on the righthand side of the block, its not there.
i was also told it sits on the water pump, if so, how easy is it getting to the thermostat here?

thanks in advance
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Re: 1998 Polo fan issues

Post by VAG Fan »

I'm not sure about that Polo, but many post-1990 cars have two (or even three) fan speeds. The lower speed kicks in first (typically at about 95°C), and only when a higher temperature is reached, or when the aircon needs more cooling, does the higher speed kick in. What you describe above, sounds to me as though the low speed isn't working on your Polo, so the temperature keeps on rising until the high speed mode of the radiator fan kicks in.

There are two possible causes:
1) Thermo-switch mounted to the side tank of the radiator
2) Pre-resistor for the low-speed operation of the radiator fan. Not sure where it sits in the Polo, but normally it's mounted on some chassis member with a heat-sink plate.

If your Polo has two fan speeds, then the thermo-switch should have three pins. You can try to figure out whether it's working correctly by measuring for conductivity between pairs of pins (1-2, 1-3 and 2-3) at various temperatures, but if the switch hasn't been replaced for some years, then the easiest would simply be to buy a new one. They do fail with age, and they aren't all that expensive.

If a replacement thermo-switch doesn't solve the problem, then you'd have to look at the pre-resistor. Someone else would have to advise on its exact location.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Jay_K
Enlisted

Post by Jay_K »

VAG Fan wrote:I'm not sure about that Polo, but many post-1990 cars have two (or even three) fan speeds. The lower speed kicks in first (typically at about 95°C), and only when a higher temperature is reached, or when the aircon needs more cooling, does the higher speed kick in. What you describe above, sounds to me as though the low speed isn't working on your Polo, so the temperature keeps on rising until the high speed mode of the radiator fan kicks in.

There are two possible causes:
1) Thermo-switch mounted to the side tank of the radiator
2) Pre-resistor for the low-speed operation of the radiator fan. Not sure where it sits in the Polo, but normally it's mounted on some chassis member with a heat-sink plate.

If your Polo has two fan speeds, then the thermo-switch should have three pins. You can try to figure out whether it's working correctly by measuring for conductivity between pairs of pins (1-2, 1-3 and 2-3) at various temperatures, but if the switch hasn't been replaced for some years, then the easiest would simply be to buy a new one. They do fail with age, and they aren't all that expensive.

If a replacement thermo-switch doesn't solve the problem, then you'd have to look at the pre-resistor. Someone else would have to advise on its exact location.
Thanks, will have a look tonight,

Appreciate it
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

thermostat most likely. Bottom of the waterpump in black plastic cover. The water pipe to the bottom of the radiator attaches there. Will have to remove the power steering pump to get to it.
Feel the bottom radiator hose with the engine hot. If it is basically cold / ambient then the thermostat is not opening.
don't remove it. You have to just replace it with a new one. You can't leave it out on that engine or it will overheat again.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Ashmsp001
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Ashmsp001 »

Hey buddy I need help also. My 2002 playa is giving me a head ache... I replaced the fan switch last night. Stil the fan does not come on... Or goes on very very brief... But wen I connect the fan straight it's works perfect .... How now I'm hopeless
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

read the above posts. Apply the test. report back.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
MIKE1997
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month
Car Make: VW, Audi
Car Model: Polo classic mk1, A4 2004

Post by MIKE1997 »

Hi guys...My name is Mike(also first time posting anything here) and i need some advise please....

Now I've got a problem with the same car...The polo classic 1998 1.6i with 133000 km on the clock(currently), 2nd owner was my grandfather and he bought the car when it was on 87000km(that was back in 2006)...that same year he came down to PE on vacation from Bloem and on the way back the car blew a head gasket...car overheated... and back then it cost him R16k for brand new pistons;rings;head skim;gasket ect....im explaining this because i do not think its a headgasket problem THIS TIME....however I get oil in the water and I replaced the OIL COOLER which is one of the main things that can cause such a dilemma,replaced the radiator and also flushed the system about 4 times...this however solves the problem....FOR 4 Months.....I had to replace the oil Cooler again 3 months ago...flushed it....Bobs your uncle...worked for 3months now i have to do it all again???? Please guys i need help....i check the oilcap everyday as it would be milky if it was a head gasket....the car does not misfire....theres no white smoke....but something is causing the oil cooler to pack up :thumbup:
like i said....i need advise....anything....

Thanks
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

I suggest you navigate to the technical section of this forum, N/A (normally aspirated) engines, and create a new thread of your own.
(This thread is already in the correct section, so you'll find a shortcut at the top of this page, between the sponsored header and the thread.)
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Ashmsp001
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Ashmsp001 »

What do I do now guys your earlier advise helped a lot thanx... It was my fan switch that messed me around... Now again help plz... The timing belt on my car almost shaved off.. Car turns but does not start.. I have the new belt just want to know can the story be bigger then just replacing a belt... What's the cost and what parts do I buy
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Yes, the story can be much bigger. If you've bent any valves by continuing to swing the engine with a bad, mis-timed belt, then the cylinder head needs to come off and be reconditioned. If you're lucky, no internals were damaged.

At this stage, I would suggest:
1) replace the belt (including tensioner and also the water pump, if it is driven by the timing belt), taking care to re-time the whole engine
2) try to start and/or measure compression. If she runs smoothly, count your blessings. Costs? Not sure, perhaps R1k for parts.
3) if the engine doesn't start or has low compression, you'll need to open it up and inspect the valves etc. Costs? A couple of thousands, depending on what needs to be reconditioned.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
Jay_K
Enlisted

Post by Jay_K »

panic-mechanic wrote:thermostat most likely. Bottom of the waterpump in black plastic cover. The water pipe to the bottom of the radiator attaches there. Will have to remove the power steering pump to get to it.
Feel the bottom radiator hose with the engine hot. If it is basically cold / ambient then the thermostat is not opening.
don't remove it. You have to just replace it with a new one. You can't leave it out on that engine or it will overheat again.

Do i need to remove the cam belt to remove the powersteering pump?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

No
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10