Starter running engine for seconds

mosems
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Starter running engine for seconds

Post by mosems »

Hi

My 1.4 Polo Vivo has starter problem and damaged bendik, and I've now replaced the whole starter but when I start the engine I can hear the bendik running with engine. what might be the problem?
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Re: Starter running engine for seconds

Post by VAG Fan »

Was the bendix gear already remaining in the engine on the old starter?
Seeing that you've replaced the whole starter, chances are slim that it's a mechanical fault. At least not on the starter itself.

I would try to find out whether there is an electrical fault that is keeping the bendix engaged, even after you release the ignition key. Please measure the contacts on the starter with a voltmeter or test bulb as follows:
... terminal 30 (thick red cable bolted to starter), should have permanent 12V+ directly from the battery
... terminal 50 (thinner cable, normally red-black, with a lug that plugs onto the starter), must ONLY carry 12V+ when you turn the ignition key to "start", and must drop to 0V (ground) the moment you release the ignition key.

If terminal 50 continues to carry 12V+ even after you've released the key, then the ignition switch is faulty.
If terminal 50 behaves normally, but the Bendix continues to run in the flywheel even without any power on terminal 50, then you have a mechanical problem that prevents the bendix from disengaging.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

P.S.:
You can also do a test by removing the lug from the terminal 50 contact on the starter, and then bridging terminals 30 and 50 on the starter with a sturdy piece of wire. As soon as you apply 12V+ to terminal 50, the starter must run and engage the bendix (a very clear "click"). As soon as you break the bridge, the starter must stop and disengage the bendix (again a very clear "click"). You can also do this test with the ignition switched off, if you wish, then the engine won't start.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
mosems
Enlisted

Post by mosems »

Thanks for the help,

Previously I jump started another car, could that have an impact?
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

I wouldn't expect it to. But please clarify this:
VAG Fan wrote:Was the bendix gear already remaining in the engine on the old starter?
And if "yes", did this problem start immediately after the jump start?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
mosems
Enlisted

Post by mosems »

No, The bendix gear did not remain. yes the problem started immediately after the jump start, because my starting was not smooth as it used to, i could tell that after the engine has started the bendix will continue running with the engine for seconds until finally the bendix died..

I replaced the starter but even now I can hear the bendix is running with the engine for those seconds even after I've released the key.