Citi Golf Sport ( 2008 ) 1.4i jerking problems

Dwayne303
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Citi Golf Sport ( 2008 ) 1.4i jerking problems

Post by Dwayne303 »

I'm having issues with a Golf1 I bought. Details are:
2008 model Citi Golf Sport 1.4i ( injected MP9 )

The engine / exhaust is completely stock. 137000km an the original head gasket is on. Head has probably never come off.
I'm experiencing very lumpy idle ( not hunting, its just very lumpy ) and also what feels like fuel starvation during hard accelerating. The car jerks and stutters when you doing about 130kph on the freeway. If i tap off a bit it kind of comes right but still feels like there's a niggle?
The problem happens when cold, first start in the morning, and its also happens when hot at "high revs" 5th gear doing 130kph.
Im not wacking the car either, just normal driving and it makes dropping a gear to overtake a nightmare, because the engine feels like its being "starved"

At the current moment Iv tee'd into the fuel lines before the fuel filter so i can monitor fuel pressure, with a fuel pressure gauge, that i routed through the firewall so i can check things while driving.
The fuel pressure is 2.6 bar at idle and when you blip the throttle it jumps to 3.0 bar immediately.
Every time I experience the jerking when driving on the freeway I check the gauge and it remains constant at 3.0 bar. NO fluctuation, which tells me the fuel pressure is good ( but maybe not fuel delivery, who knows ??? )

Iv checked and done the following common things.
Found a hairline crack in my coil. ( replaced with Agents part - they cost a fortune but its worth it )

Had my HT leads ( and coil - they found the crack mentioned earlier ) tested at a Distributor centre in Durban - they still good no faults so still using the original HT leads.

The small rubber pipe from the fuel tank to the fuel pump ( it takes a small radius 90 degree bend ) it was kinked, so I replaced it with a moulded pipe.
While I did this i checked the flow rate from the tank itself and it was very good, no blockage. Also checked the steel gauze filter on the fuel pump itself and it was super clean....the fuel pump also primes when i turn my key so I know the fuel pump relay is grafting.

I found a fuel pipe in the engine bay, that runs into my fuel rail that was cracked, I replaced the fuel pipe and checked all the others, all seems fine.

I checked the rotor in the dizzy, there's no arcing, but i put a new rotor anyway, they cheap enough.

I replaced the water temp sender unit with an AGENTS part to rule that out...

I removed the throttle body and cleaned it with carb cleaner, the butterfly was fine, but i cleaned it anyway. I also made sure the gasket for the throttle body was not damaged, its like a green gasket and it looked in good nic.

Had the car plugged in at a mechanic place, and there were no errors ??? Map sensor gave no error ??? This was really strange to me ???

After doing all this, my golf still jerks and has lumpy idle....I really don't want to sell it, and id feel bad selling it anyway to another bloke without telling him there's a nasty little problem that will come up, id love to fix this but now i'm stumped...Can you guys think of somewhere Im not looking yet...Really appreciate it.
Thanks
Dwayne
dubz-on-drugz
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Citi Golf Sport ( 2008 ) 1.4i jerking problems

Post by dubz-on-drugz »

Dwayne303 wrote:I'm having issues with a Golf1 I bought. Details are:
2008 model Citi Golf Sport 1.4i ( injected MP9 )

The engine / exhaust is completely stock. 137000km an the original head gasket is on. Head has probably never come off.
I'm experiencing very lumpy idle ( not hunting, its just very lumpy ) and also what feels like fuel starvation during hard accelerating. The car jerks and stutters when you doing about 130kph on the freeway. If i tap off a bit it kind of comes right but still feels like there's a niggle?
The problem happens when cold, first start in the morning, and its also happens when hot at "high revs" 5th gear doing 130kph.
Im not wacking the car either, just normal driving and it makes dropping a gear to overtake a nightmare, because the engine feels like its being "starved"

At the current moment Iv tee'd into the fuel lines before the fuel filter so i can monitor fuel pressure, with a fuel pressure gauge, that i routed through the firewall so i can check things while driving.
The fuel pressure is 2.6 bar at idle and when you blip the throttle it jumps to 3.0 bar immediately.
Every time I experience the jerking when driving on the freeway I check the gauge and it remains constant at 3.0 bar. NO fluctuation, which tells me the fuel pressure is good ( but maybe not fuel delivery, who knows ??? )

Iv checked and done the following common things.
Found a hairline crack in my coil. ( replaced with Agents part - they cost a fortune but its worth it )

Had my HT leads ( and coil - they found the crack mentioned earlier ) tested at a Distributor centre in Durban - they still good no faults so still using the original HT leads.

The small rubber pipe from the fuel tank to the fuel pump ( it takes a small radius 90 degree bend ) it was kinked, so I replaced it with a moulded pipe.
While I did this i checked the flow rate from the tank itself and it was very good, no blockage. Also checked the steel gauze filter on the fuel pump itself and it was super clean....the fuel pump also primes when i turn my key so I know the fuel pump relay is grafting.

I found a fuel pipe in the engine bay, that runs into my fuel rail that was cracked, I replaced the fuel pipe and checked all the others, all seems fine.

I checked the rotor in the dizzy, there's no arcing, but i put a new rotor anyway, they cheap enough.

I replaced the water temp sender unit with an AGENTS part to rule that out...

I removed the throttle body and cleaned it with carb cleaner, the butterfly was fine, but i cleaned it anyway. I also made sure the gasket for the throttle body was not damaged, its like a green gasket and it looked in good nic.

Had the car plugged in at a mechanic place, and there were no errors ??? Map sensor gave no error ??? This was really strange to me ???

After doing all this, my golf still jerks and has lumpy idle....I really don't want to sell it, and id feel bad selling it anyway to another bloke without telling him there's a nasty little problem that will come up, id love to fix this but now i'm stumped...Can you guys think of somewhere Im not looking yet...Really appreciate it.
Thanks
Dwayne
I would say fuel rail .I had similar issue when my fuel rail had a internal leak ...very shortly after .it completely broke and I just fitted a external fpr never had a problem since .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
ADZ
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk2 GTI 16v

Post by ADZ »

Easiest way is to get it scanned no use spending all the money changing things that doesn't need changing trust me lol had similar issue turned out to be a wire from the map sensor broke and kept touching other stripped wires causing a jerk and stall.

to check if the fuel rail is broken unclip the FPR pull it out if the inside comes out or there's alot of play its stuffed if not then that's not your issue but like i said get it scanned first.

02' citi 2L 8v
04' Mk4 Jetta 2L
89' Mk2 1.8 16v GTi

72' Beetle 1600TP
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

So if you read his whole story younwill see he had it scanned and found no errors.
If the fuel rail was cracked the pressure would have dropped.
Gomsee the vcds guy again and look at th values of the manifold pressurensensor and the throttle body, not just scan for faults.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
ADZ
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk2 GTI 16v

Post by ADZ »

oh never saw that sorry, well when mine had a similar issue, first time it did not pick up any errors at all but a week later second time we checked it picked up a short to ground error on the map sensor, it was strange I know but what he's describing is quite similar to the issue I had except mine started when it was at normal operating temp. I would suggest clipping off the the map sensor and injectors and have a look a that wiring harness to see if there's any break in the wires just be sure.

02' citi 2L 8v
04' Mk4 Jetta 2L
89' Mk2 1.8 16v GTi

72' Beetle 1600TP
VVT
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Re: Citi Golf ( 2006 ) 1.4 Carb jerking problems

Post by VVT »

Hey Guys

So i have a citi golf 2006 model 1.4 carb...Ive been experiencing some jerking between 2500rpm to about 3500rpm in any gear.
So 2 years ago i had this same problem, and i changed my fuel pump and my coil and got new leads and had a full service done and the jerking was still there, finally found out it was my distributor and replaced that and the car was fine for a year and a half until it started jerking again. so i replaced the my distributor again 6months ago and the jerking stopped...but now the same jerking is back and i even replaced my coil again 2 days ago. could it be my distributor again? i did notice when i took of my distributor cap off the shaft was kind of loose. Not sure if thats something i should be worried about. i dont know whats causing this jerking anymore
Gert van Staden
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by Gert van Staden »

VVT wrote:Hey Guys

So i have a citi golf 2006 model 1.4 carb...Ive been experiencing some jerking between 2500rpm to about 3500rpm in any gear.
So 2 years ago i had this same problem, and i changed my fuel pump and my coil and got new leads and had a full service done and the jerking was still there, finally found out it was my distributor and replaced that and the car was fine for a year and a half until it started jerking again. so i replaced the my distributor again 6months ago and the jerking stopped...but now the same jerking is back and i even replaced my coil again 2 days ago. could it be my distributor again? i did notice when i took of my distributor cap off the shaft was kind of loose. Not sure if thats something i should be worried about. i dont know whats causing this jerking anymore
Loose as in you can turn it from left to right or does it have play to sway? Was the rotor on when you turned it?

Sent from my SM-J106F using Tapatalk

VVT
Enlisted

Post by VVT »

Well its like a sway kind of play.the rotor was on yes...
today i drove to work with my daily jerking, and when i got to work the car wouldnt start at all...it cranks though but no start.have no clue what this could be.i checked my spark plugs for spark and there is...
Dman97
Enlisted
Car Make: 1.9tdi sportline 9n3
Car Model: Polo

Post by Dman97 »

Hey guys, did anyone get this 'jerking' issue resolved?
My jetta 2.0 mp9 is jerking and the rev counter is bogging out and intermittently jumping up and down only when the car is hot on a warm day.
It will do the above one day, and the next morning it will be 100% right through until warmed up in traffic. It's like my rev counter just starts going nuts and the car jerks low down accelerating until 3000rpm or so. Car was scanned, threw a throttle body error, replaced throttle body, but low and behold, it's still doing the same thing. We tested a different 3 pin coil while the car was hot and making ****, but still it had the same symptoms with the other coil. We don't know where to look now because there isn't a misfire, it's just the rev counter jumping intermittently and the car jerking when hot. I was thinking haul sensor, but won't this make the car misfire? Fuel pressure is fine, and changed fpr twice already as well.
Any good guesses here? Any help gents. Please read what I have and have not yet done before answering👌
cerealkiller
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by cerealkiller »

dizzy ? tp100?