Custom side draft intake

Hein47
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Custom side draft intake

Post by Hein47 »

Hi Guys,

i have a golf 1, 1.8 8v that i'm going to put side drafts on. Problem being there is not enough space due to the fact it is a u flow head. i Know its always a struggle specially for the air cleaners and ram tubes and not to mention the hot air as it sits above the exhaust headers. I had a set side drafts on the car with the normal side draft manifold but struggled with it and bend the ram tubs as the engine flexed. I'm busy trying to build a custom manifold so the side drafts will face forward.

My question is, is there anyone with experience who tried building a custom intake manifold for the carbs to face to the front? I saw a pic on the vwvortex site a few years ago where someone did it but could not find it again. Please let me know if you think it will work or if i'm wasting my time.

Thanks.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Custom side draft intake

Post by PapaJo »

If the engine flexed heavily, your engine mounts are shot. Where did you get the side draught manifold from? Seen a few running around without any issues.

Check out Rowland manifolds website on manifolds.co.za
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Custom side draft intake

Post by panic-mechanic »

Years ago I saw somebody use an Mp9 manifold's curl and cut the plenum off and welded a plate on there to mount TB's - not sure what the spacing will look like for carbs.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.