Suitable cam choice to enhance Citi Golf 1.4 Carb performance

gndguruva
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Suitable cam choice to enhance Citi Golf 1.4 Carb performance

Post by gndguruva »

Hi,
I am new to the forum and am hoping you can help me with my situation. I drive a 2004 Citi Golf 1.4 carburetor engine and would like to enhance its performance. I've been doing some research and I came across the fact that replacing the cam shaft could help. Can anyone advise on the best choice of cam shafts to opt for as well as other changes I can make to my engine to give it more power. Looking forward to your responses
Dan
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Membership No: missing

Re: Suitable cam choice to enhance Citi Golf 1.4 Carb performance

Post by Yakuza Racer »

sell the car and buy a faster one... for a 1400 you are going to piss in the wind.
Thupercharged S4
Smok3X
Captain
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: LEON CUPRA 2.0 TFSi K04
Membership No: 3083

Re: Suitable cam choice to enhance Citi Golf 1.4 Carb performance

Post by Smok3X »

gndguruva wrote:Hi,
I am new to the forum and am hoping you can help me with my situation. I drive a 2004 Citi Golf 1.4 carburetor engine and would like to enhance its performance. I've been doing some research and I came across the fact that replacing the cam shaft could help. Can anyone advise on the best choice of cam shafts to opt for as well as other changes I can make to my engine to give it more power. Looking forward to your responses
Dan
Hi Dan
Welcome to the forum.

There are various things you can do but none of which is going to drastically increase performance.
The typical route woudl include some of the items below:

Improve the flow of air into and out of the engine:
1) Less restrictive air filter
2) Branch and Free flow Exhaust
3) Change to a longer duration camshaft
4) Gas Flow the head
5) Advance the ignition timing
6) Increase the displacement (1.6 or 2.0)

However, the problem with more air, is that you then need more fuel maintain the correct air/fuel ratio.

The challenge for you is the Carburetor as this limits how much more fuel you can add, unless you change the fuel delivery (bigger carb or side drafts, OR going for EFI, electronic fuel injection)

In Summary, its an expensive job that can sometimes cost more than the value of the car and hence you need to decide on the below:

1) How much money do I want to throw at this "extra performance"? Ie. What is your budget?
2) How much extra "power" in KW's do you want or think is enough?
Current:
Leon CUPRA - 2.0TFSi K04--> Rides Thread
169WKW@Dark Artz - Stock
229WKW@Dark Artz - RevO 2+

Ex:
Ibiza CUPRA - 1.8 20V - Hybrid Turbo-->Rides Thread
Revo:182KW and 399NM@Experience
ABF Citi Golf - 2.0L 16V--->Rides Thread
FRC - 124KW and 198NM@Auto Trix
1/4 Mile:14.61s
1ST Place - 4AF2 Margate 31st Oct 2010

ImageImageImage