Multiple Warning indicators on Vivo GT

BlueDub
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 4 months
Membership No: missing

Multiple Warning indicators on Vivo GT

Post by BlueDub »

Gentlemen…

I am encountering issues with a 2012 Vivo GT 3 door, car was in for a service, filters, oil and plugs, the brake pads and discs also replaced.

A week after the service the ABS warning light flashes on the instrument cluster, so after driving around for a while, the following happens, with the ABS light off, the braking is harsh and there’s an instant kick back from the brake Pedal, the ABS light comes on, no more brake kick back, but braking seems “lower”.

It gets weirder, after some time, the handbrake warning light flashes, the speedometer stops working and the low fuel indicator comes on, the power steering and the airbag/seat belt indicator comes on as well.

Additionally to the above mentioned faults, whilst driving, the instrument cluster shows no warning lights, whilst changing gears, engaging the clutch and releasing the accelerator, the Rev stays or increases to a higher rpm, once the ABS warning light comes on again, this stops.

Some of the mentioned warnings are intermittent, however the “ABS” problem is continuous

So the following was done.
- Car was scanned for faults with a Diagnostic Tool, Errors Right wheel speed sensor and Low Voltage Error
- Right side wheel speed sensor replaced, fault cleared
- Tested with a newer battery
- Tested Fuses on the battery cover
- Brake Fluid Level Checked
- Ensured Battery Earth and Positive Cables are secured properly

The problem still persists…any Suggestions
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Multiple Warning indicators on Vivo GT

Post by panic-mechanic »

It's a bad contact or a bad earth 'somewhere' . the thing is you say tested the fuses.. Well what you need to do is undo the bolt in ones and clean or sand the contact points. There could be corrosion under one of th ncontact points
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
BlueDub
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 4 months
Membership No: missing

Post by BlueDub »

panic-mechanic wrote:It's a bad contact or a bad earth 'somewhere' . the thing is you say tested the fuses.. Well what you need to do is undo the bolt in ones and clean or sand the contact points. There could be corrosion under one of th ncontact points
Thank you, I will try this
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Disclosure: I am not very familiar with warning systems on the newer models. But I would humbly add the suggestion that if cleaning the bolt-on fuses doesn't help, then in order to quantify the low voltage error, you measure the voltage at idle or slightly fast idle,
... on the alternator (positive terminal vs. alternator housing), running with and without electrical loads,
... across the battery terminals, with and without loads, and
... in the central fuse box / main relay station, between terminal 30 (battery positive) and terminal 31 (earth), as well as terminal 15 (ignition positive) and terminal 31 - again, with and without electrical loads.

At least that's how I would proceed.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -