Newbie citi golf new spec cluster problems

Doongies
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi golf 2.0 agg 8v

Newbie citi golf new spec cluster problems

Post by Doongies »

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and I would like to thank you all in advance for the assistance and help that this forum provides. It is really a great help reading posts and learning new things all the time. I've never owned a VW until now.

Getting to the issues Im having with my 2007 citi golf. It has a 2.0 agg motor. My problem is that the cluster lights do not work. All the clocks and warning lights are working as normal. When I turn on my headlights the cluster lights do not come on at all. I've tried replacing it with another cluster but the problem still persists.

Please guys any help will be much appreciated.
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Re: Newbie citi golf new spec cluster problems

Post by Supervan II »

Have you adjusted the light intensity? The switch may be dirty/corroded inside - thumb it up and down a few times as the rheostat contacts may be dirty/corroded.

If that doesn't solve your problem, check/replace the switch.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT

Post by PapaJo »

Supervan II wrote:Have you adjusted the light intensity? The switch may be dirty/corroded inside - thumb it up and down a few times as the rheostat contacts may be dirty/corroded.

If that doesn't solve your problem, check/replace the switch.
This switch is for the old spec dash. OP has new spec dash.

Could be the same problem on his new spec switch, but it points more to a missing earth wire on the light circuit.
Doongies
Enlisted

Post by Doongies »

Well I highly doubt there is a problem with the switch because I've opened the cluster that came with the car and seems as if the previous owner soldered a led strip to the board to get the dials illuminated. The dimming switch also works with this. Don't know how but I will upload a pic
Doongies
Enlisted

Post by Doongies »

Guys could it be a boardnets box? I have been trying to research this but I don't find anything. If is an earthing problem which wires do I check?
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT

Post by PapaJo »

Doongies wrote:Guys could it be a boardnets box? I have been trying to research this but I don't find anything. If is an earthing problem which wires do I check?
Could be or many other things. Seems that it is something outside of the cluster as you have changed the cluster already. Try getting your Caddy to someone that can diagnostic scan it for errors.