Anarchy14i
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Golf mk1

oil type?

Post by Anarchy14i »

hey guys..

after i installed new rings, gaskets and so on, after a month of work i got my car started last night also after i battled with timing again,
now i have a new problem, there is no oil pressure, driving it for a long time never had this issue, this kak started when i poured helix HX3 20w50..

is this a mineral based oil? my car hates that sh!t... also the oil drips like water drops off the dip stick and is very "runny" on ones fingers,
that tells me its too thin for the pump to push up to the head..
it done this before, went to my friend who replaced the oil and the problem was gone...

so can someone just please tell me where or what proper oil for a 2001 vw golf is? midas and autozone sells oil with this "API SL/CF" markings on the box... my manual says "SAE 20w50"

could someone just clarify this for me please?
thanx
wesley
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Re: oil type?

Post by Neuk »

What oil were you using previously? HX3 is a mineral oil and being a 20w50 is pretty thick compared to oils recommended for more modern cars than your 2001 CitiGolf.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

It's not an oil problem. That is the correct and pretty decent oil for that engine.
Use a mechanical gauge and see if there really is no pressure. Often after disturbing oil pressure switches they die so often I change them during engine rebuild.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Anarchy14i
Cadet

Post by Anarchy14i »

There is deff no oil pressure... the lifters are clapping hands... sounds like a diesel engine... so the pump could be failing? It is about 6/7 years old
wesley
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

You could run a 0W30 and you would still get oil pressure. Sounds like the oil pump needs replacing.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Agree with the guys.
Your oil pump needs replacing.

Just out of interest, how many kilos has it covered?
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Anarchy14i
Cadet

Post by Anarchy14i »

Well clocks are on 300k hence the piston rings replacement... the oil pump probably about 100k as I drove my car everyday
wesley
Anarchy14i
Cadet

Post by Anarchy14i »

Got new pump and sump from goldwagen... sump was dinged by the pump pick up... (woman drivers) installing tonight... re using oil as the car didnt run more than 2min
wesley
Anarchy14i
Cadet

Post by Anarchy14i »

this is my luck... got my car started yesterday after 2 months.. everything was going perfect, idled very nice with new rings, got oil pressure back... coolant fan came on, was just about too pull out the garage and drive my car first time after 2 months... the unthinkable happens!!!!

It moered a bearing as i pulled out... my hart dropped dead there and then i almost started crying... lol
so now this weekend time to pull sump once again and see which one failed.. i suspect no 1 piston.. as the noise was louder when i removed the spark plug just to check something.
wesley
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

That's what happens when you run them with no oil pressure. i never ever allow an engine to start without first seeing oil pressure. So prime it on the pump with a drill or crank it with no spark and no fuel till the oil light goes out.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Anarchy14i
Cadet

Post by Anarchy14i »

yeah i hear you.. should have used common sense hey? thats how learn the hard way.. im going to follow your way when new bearings are in.. crank till theres pressure then start
wesley