vw golf 1 1.8 carb overheating and rough idle

darrylza100
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years

vw golf 1 1.8 carb overheating and rough idle

Post by darrylza100 »

Please assist me

My vw golf has an overheating problem

At first the fan would kick in and sometimes it would not kick in, I found out that one of the fan wires was broken and i fixed it. issue sorted there.

The fan stopped kicking in completely, so I replaced the fan switch and it worked only once and never worked again. So i decided to fuse the fan switch wires, to see if the fan will come on if when the wires are making a connection the fan does come on when I did that.

When I drove the car pressure would build up in the system, bottom radiator pipe and top pipe both get hot. I thought maybe the water pump had failed, but no signs of a failing water pump showed when I checked it.

I moved on to removed the thermostat and found that a lot of water was stuck when the thermostat sits with a lot of pressure as well.

I removed the water pump in the car and installed a spare unit i had. i drove the car around and fan still did not kick in.

I did flash the cooling system and still have this issue.

One afternoon when parking the car steam starting showing from the bonnet, I stopped to check and found that the water pipe that goes on to the cylinder head was leaking of water. no oil and water fixed in engine. The car is losing compression and misfires on startup I did change the spark plugs and it made no different.

I had the cylinder head removed and the cylinder head gasket has a small creak in it.

1. What should I be looking at here ?
2. did the car overheat and damage the cylinder head gasket or cylinder head because of the thermostat ?
3. Is pressure testing the cylinder head worth it I am looking at the cost of R 500 to do it or should I get a cylinder head that is already reworked and ready to fit ?
4. What are the chances that a the cylinder head or block would creak in a such a situation ?
5. Is the vw golf 1 well known for creaking cylinder heads and blocks ?

thanks