VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: 18 Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1691

16v head noisy

Post by nd_s »

Hi all

Need some advice, was driving my golf 2 the other day, then the oil buzzer on cluster started buzzing.
Turned off car and restarted, and was quite for about 2 mins then started buzzing again.Checked my oil pressure gauge, and it said i had 2 bar oil pressure, so drove home.

Checked oil at home,oil was low, topped it up with about 1 litre shell helix hx7 10w40.Left it overnight, checked oil the next morning, it was showing full on the dipstick, so started the car and let it idle for about 4 minutes.Drove maybe 10 meters and oil buzzer buzzing again, pressure was around 5bar.

Left car there and cam back after work, started the car and was watching oil pressure gauge,while car was warming up. Noticed head is bit noisy and there is a rattling noise, so switched off car and have left it since then.
I was thinking it is a golf 2 gluster issue as thats common, but why is the head rattling?

Any advice on what to check?
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Membership No: 1041

Re: 16v head noisy

Post by UDC »

oil buzzer, lifters roudy is definitely a oil pressure issue and not the cluster issue that you hoping for......if there is no leaks etc then most likely ran bearings, if you lucky just the oil pump or relief valve....drain oil, drop sump and check for any copper filings in sump
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

If the oil pressure gauge is showing 2 bar at idle and 5 bar while driving (assuming that it is reading correctly), there is clearly no oil pressure issue at the oil filter housing. However if the head is noisy it could mean that there is insufficient oil pressure to the head, which could be the result of a blockage somewhere in the oil channels. In any case it is worth investigating, my first move would be to drop the sump as suggested above and inspect for metal filing, also inspect the oil pump pickup (strainer) for blockages. It isn't a given that you have run bearings as you did not lose oil pressure completely.
nd_s
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: 18 Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1691

Post by nd_s »

Its a vdo gauge and the pressure sensor is on the head..
Oil looks very thin on dipstick.
Car has been parked off for about a year, maybe started and driven round block 2 times in that year.
Guess gotta clean out garage to drop the sump