2002 polo classic 1.4 water leak

Anthonipples
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

2002 polo classic 1.4 water leak

Post by Anthonipples »

Hi all,

Wanted to ask the experts, I have the above mentioned car and I have now a major water leak that looks to be coming from just above the sump, does anyone know what it could be, im a total novice when it comes to car engines. After squeezing myself under there to try see what is going on i was able to (sorta) pinpoint the leak, it looks to me that it is right above where the sump connects to whatever is above it.

The water basically just trickles out as I put it in with car on or off and the water is hot as if it has run through the system.

Any advice on what to try as a noob would be much appreciated. any troubleshooting tips that i could attempt would help in the long run as I dont have too much cash available. thanks alot guys n gals
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Re: 2002 polo classic 1.4 water leak

Post by Howie-WP »

Take a pic and post. There is a flange on the front of the engine, but not sure that it is close to the sump. Also if using G12, you can check for source of the leak using black light (UV)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Waterpump kaput most likely
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
TDIFlava
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by TDIFlava »

I suspect it the water pump or the o ring between the block and water pump that has perished.
Current:
Audi A3 8p TDI (Decat, twin S4 tail pipes, 17" rims, SQ sound system) (103kw/420nm)
Polo Classic 9n3 1.9 TDI (Decat, SQ sound system)
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex:
Citi Golf 1.4 Sport (RIP)