Car dies while driving and strugling to start after that

Kratos69
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Car dies while driving and strugling to start after that

Post by Kratos69 »

Hi

i have Volkswagen 2005 1.4 Carb.

Resently my car has given me problems when drive it would just randomly dies and struggle to start.

feul filter is full of petrol but still dont want to start so thats a indication off spark rigth....

i took out my Bosch Coil and replace it with a other brand as the mechanic said that could be the problem.

i then replaced the plugs thats on the Distrubuter with origanal VW Plugs as we found out mine was glued togeter.

i went to a AUTO now and he said it could ve my module and that he wants to replace my one with a other brand what should i do please help..
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Car dies while driving and strugling to start after that

Post by panic-mechanic »

do diagnosis when it dies. Is there spark. Is there fuel coming from the carb. You can check for fuel by seeing if it starts by using quick start and spraying it into the carb at that stage. Keep a loose sparkplug with you and stick it into a lead, put it on top of the engine and crank. See if there is spark. If not then at least you know which system to diagnose. Why can mechanics not do the very basics.
No fuel in the filter does NOT mean fuel in the carb.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
zebraas
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by zebraas »

Mine also didnt want to start at the end it was the hall sender in distributor boutgh new distributor now 100%
Kratos69
Enlisted

Post by Kratos69 »

thanks Panic while i was reading on the internet i also think its my hall sender in the distributor and its even worse when the car is hot or im stuck in traffic.
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

hall sender either works or does not work, unless a loose connection on your distributor plug but I doubt your problem is there.
As Panic said check for fuel and spark when it occurs again
Yamakashi
Enlisted

Post by Yamakashi »

Hi. I have a 95 golf MK1 1.3 carb. I have this problem when I drive the car then the car just pulls back almost like it's out of fuel and then it dies. After a while of trying to start it again it starts and IL just drive for about half a kilometre and then it does the same thing again. Could someone please advise me as to what I can do to fix it. I'm new to this forum so could someone please advise me or could it be the same problem as Panic said.
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

try bypassing the fuel reservoir bottle that fits after the fuel pump, its mounted on the tappet cover, basically run a pipe directly from the pump to the carb. If the car behaves then change that bottle
Yamakashi
Enlisted

Post by Yamakashi »

Hi UDC, thanks a million will try that.
Davin_L
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1988 Mk1 1.8L 8V

Post by Davin_L »

Had the same problem with both my other golfs, first one the ground wire on the rocker cover was broken so it made contact but barely and my second golf the carb was loose so it sucked in air from the base plate when I pulled away fast and then the car died
Golf Mk1 1988 1.8L 8V
Kratos69
Enlisted

Post by Kratos69 »

hi my vacuum pipe at the back of my Distributor was not connected can that make my car die while im driving>
Kratos69
Enlisted

Post by Kratos69 »

i mean at the back of my carburetor was not connected....
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

no
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Kratos69
Enlisted

Post by Kratos69 »

yesterday the car dies out on me and i was stuck for 40 Min on the High way in the dark. A frend asked my why is there so little petrol in my petrol filter and he told me my filter is suppose to more than half to full could that be a reason that the car dies.

Now the mechanic doesnt know what to change anymore and the Auto said he sees nothing wrong with the car where should i take it now?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Perhaps if you care to supply a location one can help you with that.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Kratos69
Enlisted

Post by Kratos69 »

hi

im in Cape Town this is what the Mechanic send me now '' Boss ur car loses his signal on the key thats way it cuts out its an electrical fault i must gey it reprogrammed an a new chip ''
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Can he prove that? Do you have a spare key?. Again. If at the point where it will not restart you HAVE to do some diagnosis otherwise you will keep changing stuff until somebody has a lucky guess. Learn how to check for spark and I already told you how. Check if there is spark. If so then go kick your mechanic in the nuts that tell you it is the key.
Then if you see that you have spark you can get back to the fuel thing. it could be a failing fuel pump. It could be a blocked fuel strainer - it could be a 100 other things and without doing some basics tests when it is dead you will not find it other than sheer luck.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

vtroubleume
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 9 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: VW Golf Plus 1.4 BUD 2007

Post by vtroubleume »

I had a similar problem twice, one was a loose fuel pump bolts, if tight maybe change fuel pump located in front of engine block , it's cheapish. Also another was an immobiliser solenoid thingie I think ,(apparently factory) just before the coil wiring, bypassed it as it was faulty when hot or maybe check the wiring that goes to the coils positive and negative poles
Ex : Polo Vivo, Renault Clio 3 1.6, Renault Megane and Scenic 1.9dci, Renault Clio 3 1.4, Renault Clio 2 1.4, Peugeot 308, Mini Cooper R56 1.6, Polo Tdi 1.4, Jetta 5 2.0 Tsfi Sportline, Ford Focus 2.0a, Bmw 320d E46 f/l, Citi Golf Chico 1.6, Corsa 1.7d converted with Gsi 1.6 engine, BMW X5 3.0im, Bmw 328 E36,Opel Kadett Ts by Group N Opel team, Jetta Vr6, Bmw 316i E36, Astra 160ie, UNO Turbo by Rudi, Bmw 325i Turbo by Alpine, Golf Gti16v exec, Mazda 323 Egi, Bmw e30 318i f/l
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

And 10 other people can relate other stories of what it was. Hence my insistence on him trying to do SOME any kind of diagnosis so at least one can eliminate some of the possibilities........
The anti theft solenoid thingy is usually a fuel cutoff and is plumbed into a fuel line not the coil.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

marks
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1 GTi

Post by marks »

Please help, I have 1983 MK1 1.6 injector. No spark, i tested with a plug in a loose cable and a cable from the coil aswell. I bought a new coil, ( 3 pin) still no spark when i crank. I went again bought a new distributor and still no spark when i crank. Everything looks fine, the fuel is fine. I just dont have a spark. Please help
Kratos69
Enlisted

Post by Kratos69 »

hi all

car is at the Auto now for 3 days and still he cant find the reason why the car just cut while driving.He had at all this time now and it didnt happend once with him.
i used that valve ease stuff once could it be that that my pick up in the tank is blocked?
Mr borchjee
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Mr borchjee »

Hi guys I drive a jetta4 1.9tdi cuts out while driving then struggles to start I replaced the float in the tank I did the injector pump over and replaced a certain relay Wich has something Todo with the starting of the car does anyone have any idea of what it could be
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Have you chcked the pump timing with vcds?
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Kratos69 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:39 pmcould it be that that my pick up in the tank is blocked?
Yes, it could. Only one way to find out. Open up and have a look. If it is, clean it and go for a test drive.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Xaba
Enlisted

Post by Xaba »

Hi guys I have the same problem with my golf 1 but before it was cutting while I drive but I will spray it with a carburetor spray and it will start but now this thing keep on happening as like the is not working so I changed the gas pump and and jump the separator I take gas straight from the pump now but still it's doing the same I really don't know now it's maybe a carburetor problem or it's a electrical issue now
Xaba
Enlisted

Post by Xaba »

Hi guys I think.I found the problem with my car it was fuel lines cause I blow them an the filter is always full.and the pressure is there but now it doesn't want to idle when I released the accelerate it dies or when I.stop the car so.I think maybe my carburetor is dirty or something