CLS engine block Vs CLP engine block

binism
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

CLS engine block Vs CLP engine block

Post by binism »

Hi

My Polo vivo 1.6 has damaged engine block beyond repair. I can't find Polo vivo 1.6 CLS engine block anywhere in my area, but I found Polo vivo 1.6 CLP engine block.... now the question is, would it fit/work on my engine TOP since well mine is CLS engine.

thank you.
Carel040
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 3 months

Re: CLS engine block Vs CLP engine block

Post by Carel040 »

Hey dude CLS Engine 1600cc CLP 1400cc why go backwards use google and find complete engine for around 10000 to 15000

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
thepot
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Make: Reebok
Car Model: Classic
Membership No: missing

Post by thepot »

Where you from?
Do it once, do it right!

Current:

Ex:
'13 Polo Vivo 1.6 - stock- RIP
'08 rox 1.4i - 76kw - sold
Citi 007
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi 1.8i Ltd
Membership No: 1972

Post by Citi 007 »

Save yourself a hassle and visit an engine importer.

Much easier, quicker and more reliable way than rebuilding the block.

I picked up a vivo engine for 10k a week back but you need to bargain and shop around. If you phone in you invariably get higher prices than if u stand in front of the salesman and try to negotiate a good price
binism
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by binism »

Ayt.. Thank you for making me understand the difference between CLS & CLP.

I'm in Bloemfontein.... I've visited most scrap yards, I've called most scrap yard's...
riaz786
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Car Make: vw
Car Model: rox 20vt
Membership No: missing

Post by riaz786 »

Can get you an engine ex Durban for 10k
ONE STOP SPARES
For all your new and used vw parts
031 4652581
Rida
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 5 months

Post by Rida »

Would CLP internals (crank pistons and rods) work in my 1.6 16v BTS motor?
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Rida wrote:Would CLP internals (crank pistons and rods) work in my 1.6 16v BTS motor?
No.

Different motors entirely. It's like asking if a Lexus V8 will bolt onto a Corolla gearbox and will it fit the stock mounts on a tazz.

They might look similar, but that's where the similarities end.

Go down to Alert, ask to see CLP 1.4l pistons and your BTS pistons side by side. Grab the vernier and measure the difference in diameter.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Rida
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 5 months

Post by Rida »

The pistons are the exact same. Only difference is the gudgeon pin is smaller of the bts piston. The bts engine basically has 1.6 cls rods with 1.4 clp pistons but with a smaller gudgeon pin. But since the bts motor was discontinued I can't find pistons anywhere. So I was thinking would it be possible to use clp pistons with cls rods in my bts block with bts crank?
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Rida wrote:The pistons are the exact same. Only difference is the gudgeon pin is smaller of the bts piston. The bts engine basically has 1.6 cls rods with 1.4 clp pistons but with a smaller gudgeon pin. But since the bts motor was discontinued I can't find pistons anywhere. So I was thinking would it be possible to use clp pistons with cls rods in my bts block with bts crank?
Take it all to your engineering shop.

They will have the right skills and knowledge to answer your questions correctly.

I was looking at the motor as a whole, my knowledge of the internals is obviously lacking.

You also sound like you have already done lots of homework to find a solution to your engine.

If the bore size is the same as CLP and the CLS rods are the same length and big-end size as BTS, then I dont see how it wont work.

Take it all to a reputable engine shop and get them to build the sub assembly. This way you know the details are all checked and done. Greater chance of a 100% successful outcome.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+