Azj engine in citi golf

jacquesdejager21
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Azj engine in citi golf

Post by jacquesdejager21 »

Hi,so the 16v engine is a no go..They are k*k expensive so i was thinking of getting a 2.0 8v azj x-flow engine and fitting that in the car??I will run it till i get all the parts needed for turbo ...is it a easy swap?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Azj engine in citi golf

Post by missioner »

jacquesdejager21 wrote:Hi,so the 16v engine is a no go..They are k*k expensiveImage so i was thinking of getting a 2.0 8v azj x-flow engine and fitting that in the car??I will run it till i get all the parts needed for turboImage ...is it a easy swap?

Is the ajz water pump run by the cambelt?

If yes its not a straight swop. You will need to fabricate an engine mounting, furthermore you may also have clutch complications depending on the crank. Most of the older motors have 6 flywheel/pressure plate bolts with one bolt out of position geometrically, all the newer motors flywheel bolts are symmetrical.

Knowing which is which and if the motor you want is the right one will be a deciding factor depending on whether you are still wanting to use the original gearbox or if you are adapting an 02(?) Cable shift box to fit the car. There are pros and cons to both setups, but mostly it depends on how much you want to spend.

If you are on a budget, then the motor you want needs to be able to use the older style clutch and pressure plate setup that fits the 020 gearbox. The engine side mounting isn't a huge hurdle to get over, but having a motor that is more similar to stock simplifies the swop enormously.

That said a 2E/ADY bottom end with a 16V 9A/AAL/ABF head is nearly spot on CR wise for a turbo and can use the stock engine mount and gearbox without needing modification. This is a common recipe for a mild turbo car and is good for a little over 200HP. There are many examples of this on the forum that have run well and are reliable (for a turbo car). Those that broke were mainly due to being pushed past the limits of the engine internals and/or improper tuning.

In any case anything more than 100HP in a Citi is plenty, due to the low weight of the car, and more than 180kph requires nerves of steel and a full on death wish. If you can, try and get a drive in a well sorted N/A 16V Citi and you will see what I mean.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
jacquesdejager21
Enlisted

Morning,yes it has the internal waterpump so out of the two mountings(old citi and new motor mounting)i will be fabricating a mounting.I asked my good friend google,and the flywheel holes are the same(6 with the offset hole)so the 020 flywheel should fit..

jacquesdejager21
Enlisted

jacquesdejager21 wrote:Morning,yes it has the internal waterpump so out of the two mountings(old citi and new motor mounting)i will be fabricating a mounting.I asked my good friend google,and the flywheel holes are the same(6 with the offset hole)so the 020 flywheel should fit..

And when the time comes for the turbo,i see that most of the guys used the spacerplate to drop cr and ran std internals?

jacquesdejager21
Enlisted

I decided to just fit the x-flow head on my engine.I am getting the head back from engineers on friday.Will i have to get my ecu mapped again now that i am fitting the x-flow head with the injectors that came with the motor?or are they the same cc as mp9?