Citi golf 1.4i starting problem

pqgreyling
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi Golf Sport 1.4

Citi golf 1.4i starting problem

Post by pqgreyling »

I am a newby to this site and MK1's in general, I hope someone can help.

I drive a 2009 citi sport 1.4i (mp9 Motor). Up to last week all was fine and had no problems, one morning i started the car and it was dead motor is swinging but no spark, as my knowledge is limited to this car i approached friends who had more experience than me. After hours of fault logging and after checking all the fusses in the car and the ones next to the battery we went and bought a new coil, distributor, spark plugs and Bogey leads and replaced the cam belt and fan belt after checking the timing, only to discover none of them was faulty. We then started to suspect that the key was to blame as everything in the engine bay looked ok and was told it could be the immobilizer that's causing the problem and i don't have a spare key to test it.

Well after battling for 2 days we finally got the car to start (have no idea why) but it starts one minute and the next time it just swings with no hope of starting. When we got the car started this morning it was idling fine as nothing was wrong but as soon as you rev it up it limits at 4000rpm and driving it it stutters and jerks over 60kmh, it also has a strong smell of petrol and looks like over fueling.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Citi golf 1.4i starting problem

Post by Ashveer03 »

Are u sure its MP9? I remember citi sport being MPI

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

The symptoms u describe also seem to be similar to the dreaded MPI Ecu problems..

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
pqgreyling
Enlisted

Post by pqgreyling »

Hi Ashveer03 i was told i have a mp9 motor but could be a mpi, my knowledge on these motor is very bad. i owned and drove a opel utility for many years and bought the Golf only 2 months ago due to them being cheaper and easier to maintain.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

2009 is when MPI was introduced so it could be either one of the two. Randomly changing parts is very rarely the best way to fault find. So for about the millionth time I will repeat the basics. Engines need
Fuel
spark at the right time
Compression which implies correct valve timing.
So test for those.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
pqgreyling
Enlisted

Post by pqgreyling »

Hi panic-mechanic we have tested for fuel as the fuel pump is coming on when you switch the ignition on (just not sure if the pressure is right), when the engine decides to start it idles perfectly and has no sign of missing only when revved up it doesn't go higher than 4000rpm.
Not sure but compression and spark is there when it starts. We tested power to the coil and distributor and it get power when ignition is switched on just not always spark.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

well if spark disappears then you need to have a look at vcds and see if it see RPM. IF so it is not the hall generator but an output side or immobiliser possibly. So you have to start eliminating items by systematically checking items between vcds and physical inputs and outputs. it is much easier if you can loan a oscilloscope somewhere.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

pqgreyling
Enlisted

Post by pqgreyling »

Ok thanks panic-mechanic. wil see where i can borrow one, otherwise i wil just take it in to a auto Electrician to have it hooked up on a computer hopefully that wil say whats going on and what is causing it.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

uhm good luck with just hooking it uo to computer and it tell you where the fault is. it is almost never as simple as that and actually very few auto electrics are good with that.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

If u in Dbn, go to Durban Auto Electrical speak to Steven.

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

His location says necastle...
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

pqgreyling
Enlisted

Post by pqgreyling »

So we took the car to an auto electrician and he say he cant find any fault car still not starting and he says there is no impulse to the distributor and the coil, he Mentioned that it could maybe be the immobilizer that's acting up but wil send the car the another auto elec that can verify it and bypass it (if possible) he also mentioned that while he was in on the comp box that he could only do and see the basic info on it and that he could not access all the settings like temp readings, according to him there is no error on the box and all is good. Ashveer03 unfortunately i live in Newcastle
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

If he could not actually access all of it then already all is not good. In there he would be able to see if the immobiliser is activating or not. You can't simply bypass the immobiliser temporarily, you have to code it out of the box and then from there there is no immobiliser anymore.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

pqgreyling
Enlisted

Post by pqgreyling »

Hi panic-mechanic yes that was the idea to see if it is the immobiliser or not. They are going to test wiring and relays first and if all is ok they will send the computer box to Jhb to someone that can sort it out otherwise i might just have to replace the box if that doesn't work, will see what's going to happen later this week or maybe only by next week.
Kleinheidd
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by Kleinheidd »

hello Guys

I also drive a citi golf 1.4i. Recently had problems with central lock so u decided to unpluck central lock fuse. Since then car started to having problems starting especialy when it is cold..
Took it to some mech said it has something to do with faulty cold start sensor..

please advice. could it be the sensor or its the immobilzer? or central lock
Kleinheidd
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by Kleinheidd »

hello Guys

I also drive a citi golf 1.4i. Recently had problems with central lock so i decided to unpluck central lock fuse. Since then car started to having problems starting especialy when it is cold..
Took it to some mech said it has something to do with faulty cold start sensor..

please advice. could it be the sensor or its the immobilzer? or central lock
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Dont hijack a thread. But anyway theres no cold start sensor, check water temp sensor

pqgreyling
Enlisted

Post by pqgreyling »

Good Day.
So i got word back from the guys that's busy with the car seems like it was a faulty wire that feeds power to the computer box, took them a while and they took the car to VW to have them also check what was going on, car starts perfectly every time now, only new problem is now when you drive it's like the car has no power when you reach 3000rpm, it stutters above that so they going to sort that out tomorrow.
MhlonishwaCebza
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 4 months

Post by MhlonishwaCebza »

Hi I drive a 2008 citi rox 1.4 i.My problem is after driving over a puddle of water last night my car is battling to start.The engine turns but there is no spark
Vdub head
Enlisted
Car Make: VA
Car Model: Citi 1.8 mp9

Post by Vdub head »

MhlonishwaCebza wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:19 am Hi I drive a 2008 citi rox 1.4 i.My problem is after driving over a puddle of water last night my car is battling to start.The engine turns but there is no spark
Check your coil
Current: Citi 1.8 mp9 :D
Ted1133
Enlisted

Post by Ted1133 »

How often must one replace the Coil on a citi golf? I have one and it also does not want to start. I was not using it in the past raining weather.
The car is on 224 000 km and I bought it from the previous owner when it was 195 000km and its been driving like a dream. But I noticed the fuel pump is not making any sound as it usually does when am about to start.