2.1 8v build

Swys
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 10 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: mk 1

2.1 8v build

Post by Swys »

Hi guys is it worthwhile to build a 2.1. What is needed for the build did my first 2l conversion and i love it . Planning on building the 2.1 for my caddy any advice wil help thanks.
2l agg 288 estas cam dicktator std viper branch cowley 57 mm exhaust 85 wheel kw 150 nm @ 8valve performance now with 15s 91.6 kw and 170 nm @fr&r tunnig . Big thanks to Sarel
Darrien
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 9 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk2 Jetta

Re: 2.1 8v build

Post by Darrien »

in my opinion it is worthwhile,loads of torque

assuming you are going to leave your std block complete...

parts you will need

- 2l block -2e or ady (if 2e,make sure that there hasnt been line bore done to the main caps or you will run into a issue with the crank weights touching oil squirters)
- 2l rods
- 83.5mm pistons or bigger for the actual 2.1 effect
- 038c tdi crank
- tdi crank original crank gear bolt
- and the obvious rings,bearings,oil pump etc...

things to be done (assuming you've bought whats needed)

- bore block to intended bore size
- if std crank was bought,the nose will need to be machined to fit the 8v crank gear
- crank gear hole (where the crank bolt goes through) will need to be drilled slightly larger to fit the crank bolt
- crank bolt will need to be shortened as it is to long
- top of pistons will need to be machined as they now will protrude the bore,how much is dependent on your application,whether it be a everyday 95 pump fuel car or a weekend ethanol car etc,get good engineers to do this,guys who build cars,as they can measure your comp ratio for you and not just chopping and estimating

- that is more or less it,or atleast as much as i can think of at this hour
- goodluck on your build,pm me,ill be more than happy to help or assist as ive built a few
- i apologise if ive forgotten anything,im sure ill remember in the morning

Goodluck
Swys
Enlisted

Post by Swys »

thanks for all the info helps a lot
2l agg 288 estas cam dicktator std viper branch cowley 57 mm exhaust 85 wheel kw 150 nm @ 8valve performance now with 15s 91.6 kw and 170 nm @fr&r tunnig . Big thanks to Sarel
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Good detailed info Darrien

This post reminds me of Torker, he is an addict of 2.1 motors.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
DotDubb
Can I buy your wheels?
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Car Make: Audi A6 3.0T
Car Model: DKW, Cabrio, A6 avant,Mk2
Membership No: 1593

Post by DotDubb »

I also have my first 2.1 motor, but in 16v.

The 8v will give awesome low down torque if you fit the right cam. 16v's make power higher in the rev range, again dependable on your cam choice.

It is not as fast revving as the short blocks, but really make great power all the way through.
Current:
2012 Audi A6 3.0T TFSI Supercharged Quattro
2005 Audi A6 3.0tdi Avant Quattro
1999 Golf Cabrio Mk3.5 1.8 20V Turbo
1991 Golf Mk2 1.8 20vT
1960 Autounion DKW 1000s
Swys
Enlisted

Post by Swys »

thanks guys
mike65
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 10 months
Car Model: mk1

Post by mike65 »

Sorry for this reply a year later but thank you Darrien geez been looking for this detailed sum up on 2.1 for VERY long...
Watch this space