Polo 6r 1.4 Oil Light flashing after oil change

luqies
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 6r 1.4 Comfortline

Polo 6r 1.4 Oil Light flashing after oil change

Post by luqies »

Serviced my car yesterday. after leaving the house back to work after lunch today, I noticed the oil light came on with beeps and flashed red. Pulled over and checked the oil level. Oil level is correct just under the max. When I filled it yesterday with 3.2litres it read just a bit over max, thought it would be a little over as I put in the new oil filter.

I am really worried. What could be the issue.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: Polo 6r 1.4 Oil Light flashing after oil change

Post by Unobeat »

Recheck the oil level again once the motor is slightly less hot and on a level surface.

After a service, i usually start the car up and let it run for a few minute and recheck the oil to make sure that it is on the correct level.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Rubbin&dubbin
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Rubbin&dubbin »

not sure if this would cause it, but did you fill some oil in the filter before installing it.
[Audi A3 2.0T http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=177350]
Polo Playa 1.6 Oo oO

Ex: Polo Playa 1.8 - Sold
luqies
Cadet

Post by luqies »

Unobeat wrote:Recheck the oil level again once the motor is slightly less hot and on a level surface.

After a service, i usually start the car up and let it run for a few minute and recheck the oil to make sure that it is on the correct level.
I checked the oil level last night and it was fine. I used magnatec 5w40 full synthetic

It is not the yellow warning light. It is the red warning light. I'm dreading the drive home.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

luqies wrote:
Unobeat wrote:Recheck the oil level again once the motor is slightly less hot and on a level surface.

I checked the oil level last night and it was fine. I used magnatec 5w40 full synthetic

It is not the yellow warning light. It is the red warning light. I'm dreading the drive home.
If its the RED sign with STOP engine then sounds like it is pressure related being low, methinks.

Does the oil pressure warning light keeps flashing red with three long beeps while driving when the temperature near or at operating temperature and it disappears for a while and then comes again?
How many kilos on the clock?

Does the motor sound rough and loud?
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Engine oil

Caution
The oil capacity has been revised for engines manufactured from June 2011
The engine oil level must always be checked with the dipstick and adjusted as necessary → Fig.
Oil capacities
Engines to May 2011: with oil filter 3.6 l
Engines from June 2011: with oil filter 3.9 l
3.2 litres sounds low especially with a change of filter. Have you serviced the car before in the exact same manner with the same volume of oil? The dipstick may be reading incorrectly if it has been replaced in the past with an incorrect unit.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

THANAS wrote:
Engine oil

Caution
The engine oil level must always be checked with the dipstick and adjusted as necessary → Fig.
Oil capacities
3.2 litres sounds low especially with a change of filter. Have you serviced the car before in the exact same manner with the same volume of oil? The dipstick may be reading incorrectly if it has been replaced in the past with an incorrect unit.

Now you onto something here, good points.
I was about to check the manuals for info on oil capacity.
luqies
Cadet

Post by luqies »

Unobeat wrote:
luqies wrote:

If its the RED sign with STOP engine then sounds like it is pressure related being low, methinks.

Does the oil pressure warning light keeps flashing red with three long beeps while driving when the temperature near or at operating temperature and it disappears for a while and then comes again?
How many kilos on the clock?

Does the motor sound rough and loud?
Yes 3 beeps then it flashes and then goes away and comes back again with that scary 3 beeps. The beeps only came on when the car was at operating temp. Engine sounds normal and definitely drives well if not better then before the service.
luqies
Cadet

Post by luqies »

THANAS wrote:
Engine oil

Caution
Oil capacities

First time i'm servicing the Polo. I have my oil in the boot. I am going to top up to 3.5 and monitor
luqies
Cadet

Post by luqies »

Unobeat wrote:
THANAS wrote:
Engine oil

Caution
Oil capacities

Now you onto something here, good points.
I was about to check the manuals for info on oil capacity.
The car is on 54000km
luqies
Cadet

Post by luqies »

THANAS wrote:
Engine oil

Caution
Oil capacities
I used the shell website to work out how much oil to put
CLPA
CGGB

I used the CGGB to be on the safe side. I then checked dipstick and it was fine. I want to know if my car is safe to drive like this
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

I wont not risk driving it in that state as you don't what other damage is caused while driving it in that state.
luqies
Cadet

Post by luqies »

now I'm really puzzled. It seems like the oil is over the max level.

Could this cause the problem?
vee4410
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Model: Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI, 9n 1.6

Post by vee4410 »

luqies wrote:now I'm really puzzled. It seems like the oil is over the max level.

Could this cause the problem?
Possible, try draining some oil and see if the problem persists.
Current Rides:
2007 Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI
2004 Polo 9n 1.6
2015 MB w205 C180
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

It could also be:

1. Incorrect oil spec
2. Incorrect oil filter
3. Incorrectly installed oil filter
4. Defective oil filter
luqies
Cadet

Post by luqies »

I put the old filter back. No more warning light. I can't believe they gave me the wrong filter. I should have checked before fitment. I thought the GUD maybe just looks different . What must I do with the part? Will Midas take it back?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

Buy the filter from VW.

As far as I know those filter have some type of non return valve in it, and some of the aftermarket filters don't have this.

Filters from VW aren't that much more expensive that the aftermarket stuff
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

amstel18 wrote:Buy the filter from VW.

As far as I know those filter have some type of non return valve in it, and some of the aftermarket filters don't have this.

Correct bro.
luqies
Cadet

Post by luqies »

amstel18 wrote:Buy the filter from VW.

HEre is a pic of the 2 filters.

It's obvious now that I used the wrong part. I assumed it was just an aftermarket that's why it looked different.

Will a shop take back a part that was put in a car already?
vee4410
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Model: Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI, 9n 1.6

Post by vee4410 »

Used oil filter will not be taken back. Just make sure you have the part numbers/ engine info whenever you purchase parts and always compare before installing as you can return unused parts.
Current Rides:
2007 Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI
2004 Polo 9n 1.6
2015 MB w205 C180
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

when I get to work I will get you the GUD part number-correct one....the guys at spare shops are sometimes a bit idiotic with their referencing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
luqies
Cadet

Post by luqies »

8VALVE-zn wrote:when I get to work I will get you the GUD part number-correct one....the guys at spare shops are sometimes a bit idiotic with their referencing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know when I was there they even asked each other what part number and made sure it was not the VIVO filter. I thought they really knew what they doing that's why I didn't think it was odd that the filter looked a bit different. The fact that it screwed on properly I thought it should have been correct. Anyway I facebooked them and they want me to come in and see why this happened. Hopefully I get the refund. I just hope there was no damage don to my engine
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

OK so after tackling a very slow system this morning I have the most accurate data for your purchase on the new Filter.

Z404 (GUD) if your OE number is 030-115-561T

Z567 (GUD) if your OE number is 03C-115-561D

Hope this serves you well, oil issues are the worst and should be sorted out right away.
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
luqies
Cadet

Post by luqies »

8VALVE-zn wrote:OK so after tackling a very slow system this morning I have the most accurate data for your purchase on the new Filter.

Z404 (GUD) if your OE number is 030-115-561T

Z567 (GUD) if your OE number is 03C-115-561D

Hope this serves you well, oil issues are the worst and should be sorted out right away.
Thanks. I got the Z567.

Just by the way the GTi uses the same oil filter.
Prins
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by Prins »

I know this is an old post but im having the same issue and I bought an after market oil filter on my 2017 polo vivo 1.4 clp engine im going to buy an original from VW and will see how it goes