2.0l 8v x-flow street to strip motor build ( help )

Vag_Stance94
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 85' MK2 GTI

2.0l 8v x-flow street to strip motor build ( help )

Post by Vag_Stance94 »

Hi everyone.
So for a whole while now i wanted to build a " street to strip " 2.0l 8v motor. So i decided to bite the nail and go for it. I bought a 2.0l 8v x-flow ( AZJ ) motor, its almost exactly the same as the ( APK ). So now that i have the engine i want to know what you guys would recommend me doing on it. Note the car it will be going in will not be my daily driver...

My list so far includes:

* 83mm pistons
* Knife edge crank
* Balanced bottom
* Lightened Flywheel
* Flowed, skimmed, ported head
* Bigger stainless steel exhaust valves
* 288 cam + Vernier
* 45 ITB's
* Dictator Management

Please advise me what you would change or extras that i should do etc etc and possibly the best ( affordable ) places to take the individual parts to get the job done ( Cape Town )
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Re: 2.0l 8v x-flow street to strip motor build ( help )

Post by THANAS »

I would take the motor to Stealth Engineering in Killarney Gardens. Not to be confused with stealth tuned. They can do all of the bottom end. I had only good experiences with them.

Warren: 0215569339

You will have to take them any parts you want fitted, pistons, flywheel, clutch kit (they balance it all together).

The head you can take to Mike Dixon for the oversized valves, cam clearancing, overhaul of guides and seals etc.

I don't have his number on me but you can easily find him on Google.

I'm not sure if that motor has a crank angle sensor but it should, in which case go with a 60-2 Dicktator and Opel or Mk4 dual coilpack to run in a wasted spark setup.

Installation of the management and Dynotuning you can have done at Dynotech.

You're looking at around R25k (thumbsuck) for all of the above including parts and labour.
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Vag_Stance94 wrote:Hi everyone.
So for a whole while now i wanted to build a " street to strip " 2.0l 8v motor. So i decided to bite the nail and go for it. I bought a 2.0l 8v x-flow ( AZJ ) motor, its almost exactly the same as the ( APK ). So now that i have the engine i want to know what you guys would recommend me doing on it. Note the car it will be going in will not be my daily driver...

My list so far includes:

* 83mm pistons
* Knife edge crank
* Balanced bottom
* Lightened Flywheel
* 288 cam + Vernier
* 45 ITB's
* Dictator Management

Please advise me what you would change or extras that i should do etc etc and possibly the best ( affordable ) places to take the individual parts to get the job done ( Cape Town )
Another 8v :wink: simply love it!!! From my experience I found that the 288 is a bit mild for a throttle setup, can make the power most certainly which you would be happy with, but a 298 is what you want to really get it revving. Are you looking at doing a high comp setup (see your list of goodies include 83mm pistons)? If so have you made a choice around what piston you going to use? Rumor has it that Mazda Astina piston works like a charm after a little machining. Keep us posted!! Good luck with your build
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
JonaDTD
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: 2.0 8V

Post by JonaDTD »

Keen to see the outcome here!
Lemon Citi Ride Thread:
1995 Citi - 2.0 8v, headwork, double valve springs, Estas 288, bigger valves, Dicktator, 4-2-1 branch, 50-57mm progressive exhaust.

Ex ladies:
Polo TDi Sportline 2008 9n3 - GTB2268VK, FMIC, Fuel Cooler, A/C Delete, Interior Delete, Sparco Deep Dish Wheel, 12.9 Head Bolts, Race Pipe, 63mm Exhaust, Full Poly Mounts, Coilovers, blah blah blah. Ride Thread Here: SR Tuned BT TDi
Polo 2.0 Highline 9n3 (90kw 175nm) SOLD
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi (RIP)
Shadows101Fall
Cadet

Post by Shadows101Fall »

I'd personally go with 43 mm throttles, but the rest of the setup looks good so far. 45 mm throttles flow roughly around 250 cfm's, and that's highly ported 20v territory.
I buy broken/smashed/written off cars

Current: 2005 Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTDm
Ex: 2014 Nissan NP200 1.6i - meh.. Sold
Ex: 2000 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=197077
Ex:1980 2 door mk1 build thread Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=192831

8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Shadows101Fall wrote:I'd personally go with 43 mm throttles, but the rest of the setup looks good so far. 45 mm throttles flow roughly around 250 cfm's, and that's highly ported 20v territory.
Correct. However if you lengthen your runner tract then the 45's will be ok, personally here at the coast the 43's are perfect.
Easier to sell the 45's and get 43's- there are many ballaches to go through when doing a throttle setup on a UFlow. I have just been down that road recently.
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
Vag_Stance94
Enlisted

Post by Vag_Stance94 »

thanks for the reply's guys.. so it seems that the engine does have a crank angle sensor, so im going to follow THANAS's advice and do the 60-2 Dicktator and Opel or Mk4 dual coilpack to run in a wasted spark setup. And yes i have thought about it and i think im going to run a High Comp motor. Also after some research and what you guys have said im now going to do the 43mm throttle setup instead of the 45's.

So build updated build log is as follows...

* 83mm pistons
* Knife edge crank
* Balanced bottom
* Lightened Flywheel
* 298 cam + Vernier
* 43 ITB's
* Dictator Management 60-2
* Opel or Mk4 dual coilpack

Ill keep updating ( with pictures ) when i actually start with the build. at this moment the motor is stripped down ready to be worked on :troll:
8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Vag_Stance94 wrote:thanks for the reply's guys.. so it seems that the engine does have a crank angle sensor, so im going to follow THANAS's advice and do the 60-2 Dicktator and Opel or Mk4 dual coilpack to run in a wasted spark setup. And yes i have thought about it and i think im going to run a High Comp motor. Also after some research and what you guys have said im now going to do the 43mm throttle setup instead of the 45's.

So build updated build log is as follows...

* 83mm pistons
* Knife edge crank
* Balanced bottom
* Lightened Flywheel
* 298 cam + Vernier
* 43 ITB's
* Dictator Management 60-2
* Opel or Mk4 dual coilpack

Ill keep updating ( with pictures ) when i actually start with the build. at this moment the motor is stripped down ready to be worked on :troll:
You have the perfect chance here to build a proper high comp setup since the engine is off the car. All the goodies listed above sound good. Instead of skimming the head which should only be option if the engine is still on the car, skim down the block accordingly with your new pistons to give you a comp that will help make those throttles scream for its mother!!!!!

Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

And remember that calculating compression ratio is not a thumb-suck affair whereby you just guess what it will be.
Quite a few measurements need to be known before an accurate calculation can be made.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Shadows101Fall
Cadet

Post by Shadows101Fall »

I've built a high compression 8v by just moerring a bunch of parts together and seeing what happens, it works and it's fun as hell but if you're not willing to rebuild it again it will be advised to measure everything out and calculate before hand. The motor I built suffered a lot of abuse and lasted, by god's grace I assume since the static compression ratio was 13.48:1 and I was running 95.

Ex: 2000 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=197077
Ex:1980 2 door mk1 build thread Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=192831

8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Shadows101Fall wrote:I've built a high compression 8v by just moerring a bunch of parts together and seeing what happens, it works and it's fun as hell but if you're not willing to rebuild it again it will be advised to measure everything out and calculate before hand. The motor I built suffered a lot of abuse and lasted, by god's grace I assume since the static compression ratio was 13.48:1 and I was running 95.
I want some of that 95 as well please :lol: even tho my comp is no where near that!

AlexTDi
Field Marshal
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Model: '15 Polo GTI
Membership No: 1724

Post by AlexTDi »

sure you weren't running diesel? 13.48 on normal 95 :crazy:
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

Daily: '06 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE
Race Car: Polo Vivo GT

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport
Weekend Toy: '84 Golf MK 1 GT
Race Car: Golf MK1 2 Door

https://www.facebook.com/AMRacing89
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Probably 5 deg advance static timing.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

SIgh. Ok so since everybody lately thinks you can just chuck compression and it will make huge power go have a bit of a look at something like this.
Yes it is written for big american v8 on carbs with a torque converter but it will give you 'some' insight in just how involved choosing the right CR is.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki ... patibility
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Shadows101Fall
Cadet

Post by Shadows101Fall »

8VALVE-zn wrote: I want some of that 95 as well please :lol: even tho my comp is no where near that!
You're at the coast, I'm way up at altitude so that makes a big difference. I never claimed to make huge power due to the compression, it was just something I did because I had time and parts and wanted to see what happened. The motor was fairly standard and I could've made a lot more power if I flowed the head with a huge cam. It was running on mp9, it pinged like a **** for the most of its life without additives in the fuel, but it kept going and didn't die on me. I still have the pistons that I used that I'm saving for another 8v.

It was a fun torquey, standard apart from the pistons, 1800 8v.

Vag_Stance94
Enlisted

Post by Vag_Stance94 »

what you guys say about the CR is very true, its not just something you can thumb suck on, i got given a contact number of a guy who who went overseas to study Engine Building, apparently he had a 1600 8v carb caddy bakkie who's motor he done over taking all of the tolerances down to nearest 0.001 and obviously he done a little bit of work on the head etc and they say that caddy MOVED. so ill go and have a chat with him and ask him for guidance as well as a couple of engineering places who does engines where someone can guide me in the right direction,,,

my goal here is not to drive everyone in their moer, but i want people to be moer supprised of what a N/A 8v can do. Everyone keeps telling me to sell the 8v motor and go 16v, but ey those are the people i want make BEK STILL about 8v's.

So earlier the week i got a quite on normal size 2.0l lightened pistons and con-rods and they charged me over R12K :twisted: i was like HOLY F#@k that is moer expensive. Anyway im eyeing to buy a *** 288/98 slpit cam they go for just under R3k on their site, also im going to get the head done at Mike Dixon and he quoted R5600 for a fully fully worked head..

any advise on a flywheel clutch and pressure plate setup ???
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Please please please please whatever you do just go to nellis at sportcam for a cam. You can buy a 298 from him and be done.
Just not the ***.
And you can simply speak to mike dixon for everything else. He knows his stuff and 8v.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

You can just use the pressure plate and clutch from a 1.8 16v. It will be good enough.
Get the flywheel ligtened.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Vag_Stance94
Enlisted

Post by Vag_Stance94 »

panic-mechanic, thanks for telling me bru, I was actually planning on buying that *** split cam sometime during this week, i have to be honest and say that you aren't the first person advising me to steer away from ***, so that is exactly what i will do. I guess their reputation speaks for themselves anyway, I will make contact with Nellis and have a chat with him. And thanks for the advise on the clutch setup..
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

If you want some advice on building a strong 8v, speak to Riaan if you can. He had a very strong 8v on throttles. think he's name on the forum is "throttles". don't think he is active anymore though.

Here is a link to his rides thread: http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=155855
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Vag_Stance94
Enlisted

Post by Vag_Stance94 »

whats up guys, i know its been a while, but im back and i spent quite some time doing propper research and this is my plan for the 2.0l 8v build so far... i need to sort out out one or two things still before i start with the actual build early next year like If i should go for bigger pistons and what clutch to get....

Here is my list so far and the prices that comes with it....

Head ( fully worked ) Mike Dixon R5 600
298 Estas billet cam + Vernier ( sportscam) R2 500

SACH 1.8 16v 210mm 9 hole power cluch kit ( goldwagen ) R1 710
210mm 9hole Flywheel

Lighten Flywheel ( STEALTH ENGINEERING ) R150 +
Knife Crankshaft R750
Balance rotating assembl R850
Deckking the block ( lift compression )

Top bolts
Rod bolts
Water pump
Oil pump
cam and fan belt
Water Hoses

43mm Thorttles
Ram Tubes
TPS R0
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Rail
Injectors

Management system ( Dctator, supply, fit and tune ) R5 600

GUYS ANY MORE ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
PaKiMoNSTeR
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Model: Mk3 Jetta

Post by PaKiMoNSTeR »

Going to watch this. Similar plans for the Jetta for next year. Keen to see how this one goes.
Track Toy
Vag_Stance94
Enlisted

Post by Vag_Stance94 »

PaKiMoNSTeR wrote:Going to watch this. Similar plans for the Jetta for next year. Keen to see how this one goes.
so am i, but as i said i still need to sort out some hiccups and need to figure out odd bits and pieces. my major setback at the moment is choosing the right oversized pistons for the build.

i will do a propper build thread as soon as i actually start with the build.
AndrewK
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

Post by AndrewK »

you can use the 325i bmw pistons, machining of the bushes on the conrods wil be needed but then you wil have some big jugs in there
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Two years later I'm sure he came right with something in the mean time...
Just look at the date of posts when or before you reply.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10