Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months
Car Make: Mazda
Car Model: BT 50 3.2 SLE 4x2

Whine noise coming from citi golf

Post by RJ8V »

Good day guys,

Need your help please.

I've had this whining noise for quite some time, it sounded like a bearing or so.

When you start the car it is only noticeable when warm and can only hear it 1000rpm or above, below 1000rpm it is quiet.

I thought perhaps it is the altenator or waterpump and after I removed the v-belt to see, the sound was still noticeable. Sounds like it is coming somewhere from the head or block. Any ideas what it could be?
EX: '02 AUDI A3 1.8 20V
EX: '81 Golf Rabbit Mk1, 2e 8V MP9. Not self-Build.
EX: '05 Ford Fiesta ST 2.0 Normal Aspirated
EX: '06 Volvo S60 D5
EX: '79 Golf MK1 2Door, 1.6i MP9. Not self-Build
EX: '05 Golf Chico 1.4 Carb - Self- Project

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Whine noise coming from citi golf

Post by panic-mechanic »

Timing belt too tight or tensioner failing.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
NakataStijo
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by NakataStijo »

I will also like to know cause i just change belt and tensioner and all of a sudden when the car is warm when you put the engine under load whining noise start and stops when the engine has picked up revs. thought the tensioner was tight but that was not the case. Can a new tensioner fail?
RJ8V
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months
Car Make: Mazda
Car Model: BT 50 3.2 SLE 4x2

Post by RJ8V »

Thanx panic
EX: '02 AUDI A3 1.8 20V
EX: '81 Golf Rabbit Mk1, 2e 8V MP9. Not self-Build.
EX: '05 Ford Fiesta ST 2.0 Normal Aspirated
EX: '06 Volvo S60 D5
EX: '79 Golf MK1 2Door, 1.6i MP9. Not self-Build
EX: '05 Golf Chico 1.4 Carb - Self- Project

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

If you have just changed the belt and tensioner you have made it too tight. Simply slack it off a little and the noise will go away.
On th long side of the belt you need to be able to turn the belt through 90 degrees.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
175SBU
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 6 months
Car Model: MK1 1.4i, MK2 CSi

Post by 175SBU »

What panic said, i had same issue, the belt was too tight and the noise only happened when the car got warm.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steba323
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years

Post by Steba323 »

If ur vbelt is making noise when start or when revving try lubricating the altenator pully sound might just go away.. Mine did after changing the v belt/ fan belt
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

I had a whining noise in my Citi Golf once, it when away when ever I dropped my ex-GF off at home. Car seemed to run better after that too.
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
Jay.
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 11 months

Post by Jay. »

I am experiencing almost the same problem with my 1.4i agy everyday in the morning when I start the car there is this funny sound that lasts for less than maybe 20 seconds, this is costing me to change tensioner almost every 3000km. I dont knw if it is the problem of the car or the mechanics are just getting it wrong, anyone might have any idea please help on this one
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Jay. wrote:I am experiencing almost the same problem with my 1.4i agy everyday in the morning when I start the car there is this funny sound that lasts for less than maybe 20 seconds, this is costing me to change tensioner almost every 3000km. I dont knw if it is the problem of the car or the mechanics are just getting it wrong, anyone might have any idea please help on this one
Can also be a waterpump,. If the noise is intermittent.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Jay.
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 11 months

Post by Jay. »

I have also changed the waterpump but the noise is still there
Webergolf
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 3 months

Post by Webergolf »

Hi guys I got the same problem since doing my timing belt and have slacked off my timing belt a little. I think it's in the head(listened with long screwdriver). Also another thing I noticed is that the new tensioners hole for the bolt is bigger than the bolt itself. Should we be purchasing new studs that fit firmly into new tensioner or not? I thought it wouldn't be a problem since the middle part dont move and is tightened against the block but upon reflection that is the only thing out of spec so to speak.🤔
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Webergolf wrote:Hi guys I got the same problem since doing my timing belt and have slacked off my timing belt a little. I think it's in the head(listened with long screwdriver). Also another thing I noticed is that the new tensioners hole for the bolt is bigger than the bolt itself. Should we be purchasing new studs that fit firmly into new tensioner or not? I thought it wouldn't be a problem since the middle part dont move and is tightened against the block but upon reflection that is the only thing out of spec so to speak.Image
Get the correct stud.

The small 8mm stud had issues which is why it was changed up to 10mm. Goldwagen, Alert or Midas, they should all keep the stud kit. If not then simply make your own from the nut and bolt shop. Use a HT strength bolt or stud.

New timing belts do have some whinyness to them, don't slack off the belt to compensate. All you are doing is giving the belt a chance to slip or jump teeth. The noise should improve after a little time.

The tension is correct when the middle of the long side of the belt cannot turn MORE than 90deg using only your thumb and forefinger. Use your judgement on this so a small variation is allowed.

Sent from my ***-L22 using Tapatalk

Webergolf
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 3 months

Post by Webergolf »

Thanks missioner! I didn't slack too much as I was keeping to the 90 degree rule myself. Will look at getting that bolt but I agree the sound did fade a bit but ill sleep better with the new bolt.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Webergolf wrote:Thanks missioner! I didn't slack too much as I was keeping to the 90 degree rule myself. Will look at getting that bolt but I agree the sound did fade a bit but ill sleep better with the new bolt.
Cool man.

Sent from my ***-L22 using Tapatalk

TJAYNineeight
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years

Post by TJAYNineeight »

I'm also experiencing the same problem, i hear noise like screaming belt i don't know if it's a timing belt, but it usually happens when it gets dark around 18:00-19:00
Even in cold weather when engine warms Up