DP
Enlisted
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2011 Jetta (MK5) 1.6

Jetta 5 ESP and engine(fault in catalytic converter) light

Post by DP »

Howzit guys
I have a 2011 Jetta 5 1.6 petrol cabbie......
For the last month or two, 1 out of 6 times it struggled to start a bit, just had to press the accelerator pedal down for a second or two when starting.....sometimes the ESP light should come on, if this happened I switched the car off, waited a few seconds and started again, it would start fine and the ESP light would then be off......

Then this Saturday it seemed to take a turn for the worse.......took a drive to Centurion and back, about 40km return, went to the shop near my place and on my way back to my place from the shop, the car struggled to start again, the ESP light came on and then immediately the engine light lit up, and the car for the first time started to struggle to idle, wanted to switch off........gave it a bit of acceleration and it started to run smoothly but noticed it hit like a flat spot for a second and then started driving smooth again although the warning lights were still lit up........

Parked the car off for the night

Next morning woke up, started the car, it started fine with no struggle or NO warning lights came on, took the kids to the park, about 10km / 15 mins away from home......spent some time there, returned home, without any problems or warning lights coming on....
I chilled at home for 15, then took a drive to a buddy's place in centurion, on arrival both warning lights came on again.....remained the same all the way home.....but it did drive fine.......without struggling to idle or anything......parked the car off

Then this morning, started the car, started fine, no warning lights, drove to work 10kms/20mins away from home......everything fine no warning lights came on ......

Anyone experienced a similar problem....... ?
Anyone have an idea which part is on its way to its end of life ?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated ?
Anyone can recommend someone in Pretoria that can have a look at the vehicle ?

Thanx, Will greatly appreciate your inputs and time.....
francois_gti
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Model: RS Mk5 Gti (Manual)
Membership No: 3041

Re: Jetta 5 ESP and engine(fault in catalytic converter) lig

Post by francois_gti »

Hi,

A good starting point would be to scan the vehicle for error codes and then take it from there.
Current: Mk5 Gti
Ex: Audi A3 1.8T
Ex: Citi Life 1.6i
Ex: Citi 1.6
Ex: Cti 1.8i
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Can be caused by a throttle body.
Yes get it on vagcom.
Try Trevor Greene -Moot street - 083 309 5033
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
DP
Enlisted

Post by DP »

Will the error be picked up if the light is not on currently?

Just took a 5 min drive now and none of the warning lights came on
Will monitor again on my way home

Thanx guys
DP
Enlisted

Post by DP »

Update:
After work yesterday, car struggled very slightly to start, tapped on the accelerator pedal and it started up, drove home (10km/less than 20min drive), None of the previously mentioned warning lights came on

This morning started the car on one turn without any problems, drove to work with none of the warning lights coming on.....
MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

You need to get it scanned and checked.
Most common for the 1.6 engine with mileage was the injectors leaking when hot and car turned off. Esp could be anything but coupled with rough idle it could be a pedal or throttle input. Get car scanned.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes even with no lights on it would have stored what the error was and how many times it occured.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

DP
Enlisted

Post by DP »

Just to clarify when I said ESP light I mean the traction control light (as the owners manual list that warning light as problem with ESP)....

so for the last 2 weeks NO warning lights have come on

BUT last night they did.....

After I drove home from work..... parked the car off for a few minutes then needed to take a drive to the shop 2 mins away from my place, I start the car up and it struggles to start and has a "shaky" start and the traction control / epc warning light comes on..... I switch the car off for a minute start it again and it starts fine......

I drive to the shop and on my way back home the traction control light comes on again and the Engine light starts to flash for about 10seconds and then stops flashing but is lit up and the car struggles to get up my driveway like it wants to switch off......
I get it into the garage switch the car off, wait a few minutes start it again and it starts fine and idles fine but the engine light is on.....switch the car off.....wait till the morning

This morning start the car up and its starts fine on one turn and there's NO warning lights on.......drive about 20mins to work and all is still fine......

this intermittent problem is worrying me don't want to get stuck somewhere in the middle of the night with the kids in the car

I did phone VW hatfield Pretoria and they quoted me about R1000 for a diagnostic test (which I think is a bit steep)

Can somebody recommend someone in the Pretoria or surrounding area that is reputable and will get to the exact problem sorted at a reasonable price

Thanx

(P.S the handbook states the engine light flashing means the car is misfiring)
francois_gti
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Model: RS Mk5 Gti (Manual)
Membership No: 3041

Post by francois_gti »

DP wrote:Just to clarify when I said ESP light I mean the traction control light (as the owners manual list that warning light as problem with ESP)....

After I drove home from work..... parked the car off for a few minutes then needed to take a drive to the shop 2 mins away from my place, I start the car up and it struggles to start and has a "shaky" start and the traction control / epc warning light comes on..... I switch the car off for a minute start it again and it starts fine......

I drive to the shop and on my way back home the traction control light comes on again and the Engine light starts to flash for about 10seconds and then stops flashing but is lit up and the car struggles to get up my driveway like it wants to switch off......
I get it into the garage switch the car off, wait a few minutes start it again and it starts fine and idles fine but the engine light is on.....switch the car off.....wait till the morning

This morning start the car up and its starts fine on one turn and there's NO warning lights on.......drive about 20mins to work and all is still fine......

this intermittent problem is worrying me don't want to get stuck somewhere in the middle of the night with the kids in the car

I did phone VW hatfield Pretoria and they quoted me about R1000 for a diagnostic test (which I think is a bit steep)

Can somebody recommend someone in the Pretoria or surrounding area that is reputable and will get to the exact problem sorted at a reasonable price

Thanx

Where in Pretoria are you?

I have VCDS and am in the Pierre van Ryneveld (Centurion) area during weekdays if you need to have the car scanned.
Current: Mk5 Gti
Ex: Audi A3 1.8T
Ex: Citi Life 1.6i
Ex: Citi 1.6
Ex: Cti 1.8i
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

I have already given you a reference in pretoria with a contact number but you appear to be ignoring it.
Trevor Greene 083 309 5033
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

DP
Enlisted

Post by DP »

panic-mechanic wrote:I have already given you a reference in pretoria with a contact number but you appear to be ignoring it.
Trevor Greene 083 309 5033
apologies, yeah guess I mistakenly over-looked the number u provided been more than 2 weeks since I last posted in this thread....will give him a call thanx
DP
Enlisted

Post by DP »

francois_gti wrote:
DP wrote:Just to clarify when I said ESP light I mean the traction control light (as the owners manual list that warning light as problem with ESP)....

Thanx

Where in Pretoria are you?

I have VCDS and am in the Pierre van Ryneveld (Centurion) area during weekdays if you need to have the car scanned.

thanx for the offer buddy, I am near Pretoria cbd but don't mind driving to u if it helps to find out what the problem is.....

I will contact you if I don't come right else where
Thanx
DP
Enlisted

Post by DP »

Just a quick update
Took it to VW for a quick diagnosis

The errors it gave
Coil open circuit grounding error
Misfire on cylinder 1 and 4

so most probably its the coil
Naeemc
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Re: Jetta 5 ESP and engine(fault in catalytic converter) light

Post by Naeemc »

Hi guys I seem to be having th same issue with my 1,6 Vw golf 5 . Noticed occasional shudder and this afternoon esp light and noticeable lack of power . Can anyone recommend help with this ...
DP
Enlisted

Post by DP »

Replacing the coil, solved my problem... Since then neva had the problem again
Think a new coil was R3000 - R4000 from vw ... Can't remember exactly
Naeemc
Enlisted

Post by Naeemc »

Thanks did u do it at Vw or other ? Am in centurion so will need recommendations of places locally ...
DP
Enlisted

Post by DP »

Yes did it at vw.... It's a simple swap out... Think they charged me 30mins labour... Can't remember exactly as most of it was paid through the warranty plan
Naeemc
Enlisted

Post by Naeemc »

Ok so my car is out of warranty , anyone besides Vw that’s can have a look at it , recommendations will be welcomed . From Durban so I have no contacts in the area at all. Welcome to contact me on 0824131319 ... need the car sorted ASAP as it’s my vehicle I use to work ...