Dicktator ignition help.

Ryanmd
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Re: Dicktator ignition help.

Post by Ryanmd »

Good day guys. Just an update on what transpired from here. I managed to sort out the pinging issue whereby i fitted a 1.5mm spacer plate from Redline gaskets to drop compression and 288h cam. I haven't retuned yet again with new cam. But with the 276h i got around 101kw and 209nm with most of the timing retarded in the management due to the pinging. When i fitted the 288h cam the guy didn't dyno again but just advanced the timing on the management as he saw fit to be with no ping but it still does ping a little in the low rpm range when I'm in 2nd gear. When I'm able to retune again i will post an update.

Attached is a pic of the dyno with 276h cam.

Starting with a jetta3 cli executive now so the golf2 is on hold for a while. Image

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

That head must have been skimmed alot for 1,5mm spacer plate.

When head was off,did you check for any valve marks on pistons?
Ryanmd
Enlisted

Post by Ryanmd »

Good day. Yes i did check and there were no valve markings.

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Ryanmd
Enlisted

Post by Ryanmd »

PapaJo wrote:That head must have been skimmed alot for 1,5mm spacer plate.

When head was off,did you check for any valve marks on pistons?
Bore and stroke was changed. And as far as i can recall the head was only skimmed 0.5mm a few years ago when i had it ported and flowed. The work done now recenly was only the bottom end. Did 40thou bore and fitted 2ltre steel crank off the 2.0 ady engine. Used pistons from 2.6 carravelle. I was advised jou to go with bigger cam to so still have to retune but car is driveable for now.

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

You say 40 thou bore change. Is that now from std short block 81mm bored out 40 thou? That would give you 82mm or are you referring to the 2.6 pistons that is 82.5mm, that is 60 thou = 1.5mm.

Longer stroke crank and larger bore with the 2.6 pistons and the 0.5mm skim on head is giving you a high compression ratio. Causing the pinging, as you have said all clearances were checked before and no fouling inside the block in the areas we have mentioned before in previous posts.

I'm still referring back to previous page as suggested by myself, missioner and Jetta2. You need to have the correct compression ratio measured and calculate the static compression ratio. You need to get the baseline and only then, you can get to the bottom of the pinging issue.
Ryanmd
Enlisted

Post by Ryanmd »

Yes it is as said. The ping is not that bad as before but it is concerning,which i hope will be fixed when i retune with the bigger 288 cam and the spacer i have put on. The clearances inside the block has been checked aswell to confirm there is not knocking of parts and shaving internally. It is mostly on a hot day that the ping becomes more annoying. Other than that normal driving is oryt with the occasional ping in low rpm range around 2000rpm. Would u advise that i check anything else perhaps that i might have missed or could be an issue? I hope im on the right path so far. I just want ping gone by all means.

Ryanmd
Enlisted

Post by Ryanmd »

Good day guys. I trust all is well. I have an issue with dictator for 2 days going. I have noticed that the idling is rough and that it seems to be loosing power. Yesterday when i got home it got worse. Idling is low and its backfiring alittle. When i rev it seems clean but has no power from 3krpm up and when i put my foot down. Now it struggles to start and rev. Backfires and pre ignite. I also noticed that there is a warm funny smell from engine like if its very hot but temp is around 60degrees when i check on the software. (just viewing)

Could this be the management where settings could have changed or is this perhaps something i have to fault find around the engine? Can anyone perhaps confirm vw mp9 engine temp switch parameters for managment setup and for the compensation maps? I will add setup pis.

Runing std dictator on 2litre 8v with 288 cam. Last map i had saved personally after tune was when it was tuned to drive in with 276 cam with high comp convertion(2.6 carravelle pistons decked flat with 2ltre steel crank in 1.8 kjet block and slight ping when on higher rpm) this was around Nov 2020. In December i fitted 288 cam and 1.5mm spacer plate from Redline gaskets to drop compression and ping gone abit. Guy that tuned only adjusted the timing up as he said It was on a negative timing seting due to the pinging after i did what he recommended to get rid of tune. I would have hoped he ran it on the dyno but he didnt. I drove since December as is to get the engine driven in, now i have this issue which happend. I was thinking i need to do oil change and retune if this is the case with management only. I am kinda hoping its nothing to do with the engine tho as finance is kinda low at this time although i need car to be mobile aswell.

Any advise would be greatly apreciated. Worst case would be getting R1500 to retune and a service kit :(

Ryanmd
Enlisted

Post by Ryanmd »

Ryanmd wrote:Good day guys. I trust all is well. I have an issue with dictator for 2 days going. I have noticed that the idling is rough and that it seems to be loosing power. Yesterday when i got home it got worse. Idling is low and its backfiring alittle. When i rev it seems clean but has no power from 3krpm up and when i put my foot down. Now it struggles to start and rev. Backfires and pre ignite. I also noticed that there is a warm funny smell from engine like if its very hot but temp is around 60degrees when i check on the software. (just viewing)

Could this be the management where settings could have changed or is this perhaps something i have to fault find around the engine? Can anyone perhaps confirm vw mp9 engine temp switch parameters for managment setup and for the compensation maps? I will add setup pis.

Runing std dictator on 2litre 8v with 288 cam. Last map i had saved personally after tune was when it was tuned to drive in with 276 cam with high comp convertion(2.6 carravelle pistons decked flat with 2ltre steel crank in 1.8 kjet block and slight ping when on higher rpm) this was around Nov 2020. In December i fitted 288 cam and 1.5mm spacer plate from Redline gaskets to drop compression and ping gone abit. Guy that tuned only adjusted the timing up as he said It was on a negative timing seting due to the pinging after i did what he recommended to get rid of tune. I would have hoped he ran it on the dyno but he didnt. I drove since December as is to get the engine driven in, now i have this issue which happend. I was thinking i need to do oil change and retune if this is the case with management only. I am kinda hoping its nothing to do with the engine tho as finance is kinda low at this time although i need car to be mobile aswell.

Any advise would be greatly apreciated. Worst case would be getting R1500 to retune and a service kit :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Looking at your fuel map, it seems to be a bit rich in the 50% and higher tb opening position.

The timing map seems to be “almost flat”.

Start by checking the sparkplug condition and / or replace them and then get car properly tuned up.