Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months
Car Make: Mazda
Car Model: BT 50 3.2 SLE 4x2

Need assistance with setting up carburetor 1.4 mk1

Post by RJ8V »

Good day guys,

I'm driving an 2005 vw mk1 1.4 carb.

Recently purchased a new carburetor from goldwagen and the baseplate.

Now i've connected everything. Car starts, idle but I just can't seem to get the idling perfect,

What my question is, below is an sample image link of the carburetor I have on. I just need to know what must go where. Currently I only connected the throttle cable, choke cable. No vacuum hoses are connected besides the black one as in the picture.

http://www.onlinecarparts.co.za/556-140 ... rettor.jpg

Also I know there are 2 vacuum connectors at the back of the carb, but my car doesn't have the dizzy next to the distributor as it's a newer type.

Any info regarding what to connect where i order to get my idling perfect will be appreciated, as well as what the CO screw must be on (1.0 - 1.5 or 2.0)
EX: '02 AUDI A3 1.8 20V
EX: '81 Golf Rabbit Mk1, 2e 8V MP9. Not self-Build.
EX: '05 Ford Fiesta ST 2.0 Normal Aspirated
EX: '06 Volvo S60 D5
EX: '79 Golf MK1 2Door, 1.6i MP9. Not self-Build
EX: '05 Golf Chico 1.4 Carb - Self- Project

JohnnyVw
Cadet

Re: Need assistance with setting up carburetor 1.4 mk1

Post by JohnnyVw »

Hi Rynhard

I can help you with a basic set up of the carb so it can start and idle roughly. Then once you have this then just turn the two screws described to adjust. Note the settings I described is for the stock carb worked for me. Dont know about the pirate one, people usually dont like to work with em.

If you look at your old carb there is a black hose going from where the choke plate vacuum pipe on top of the carb [on the left, if carb is installed on car], to the bottom of the front of the carb there is a brass inlet pipe [bottom right]. Connect these two pipe with a vacuum pipe, just swap your old one over if it is not badly worn.

Plug both vacuum connectors at the back of the carb with something, a way that works but is not so pretty is to take some vacuum pipe then connect it to those connectors then plug a screw or bolt into the pipe to block it. The stock vw blockers are nice green ones and I havent been able to source them yet.

Also plug the one connector on the front bottom left [if carb is installed in the car] that is for a/c vacuum pump.

There is a screw that is inside of a spring near where you connect the throttle cable, take the air cleaner off or whatever you have to filter the carb off, then look down the carb into the smaller barrel, and turn that screw with the spring on it until the smaller of the two throttle plates opens slightly, that screw should be turned quite a bit in, but not all the way.

Then there is a screw that is at the back of the carb but it is angled towards the front left shock mount it is inside of like a tube. Turn this screw with a short flat screwdriver until it is flush with the tube-like housing.

Make sure your throttle cable has good tension by moving the metal clip thing until there is no slack in the cable.

Also make sure your choke cable is adjusted correctly, if it is pulled out to max inside car make sure the choke plate is closed max in the carb. unscrew and tighten the screws that hold it the wire cable etc.

Make sure the idle solenoid is plugged into your loom, its the black thing with a wire coming off the back of the carb. Also make sure your carb has a ground wire running onto one of the tappet 10's.

To start, pump the pedal a few times to spray some petrol into the intake via accelerator pump. Then swing, if she starts and wants to die pull the choke out, then slowly put it back in when warm enough. Should idle at about 1000, depending on your distributor timing.

Maybe it works I dono
RJ8V
Cadet

Post by RJ8V »

Thanks for the advise Johnny, will have a look, 1 thing that made me wonder is when you mentioned about the choke plate and a vacuum line, I noticed this is where my first problem can be, as there is no vacuum hose on.

Hopefully I will get it sorted tomorrow.

Thanks once agian

RJ8V
Cadet

Post by RJ8V »

Hey guys,

Okay so I made a few changes to my carb with the vacuum hoses as johnny explained.

The idling is better but i'm still not satisfied with idling (+- 920 - 980 rpm) still jumps a bit. Was just wondering, As mentioned above, my distributor has no vacuum advance, are all the late model citi carbs like this or should I consider getting an distributor with the vacuum advance? As I blanked that fitting at the back of carb at this stage.

Been searching the web down and can't seem to find any info if the citi golf from 2005 and up distributor has no vacuum advance or is it just mine??

AJ24
Enlisted
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf MK1

Post by AJ24 »

Rynard,

I also have a Chico 1.4 and there is no advance unit fitted to the distributor
RJ8V
Cadet

Post by RJ8V »

Howsit AJ24,

Is yours also an late model carb?

You can't perhaps show via a picture how your carb is assembled coz I think somewhere I might be wrong with an vacuum or setting,

As I still don't seem to get my idling stable.

Cheers,

JohnnyVw
Cadet

Post by JohnnyVw »

Hi Rynard

The late model citi golfs with the square 3 pin coil all have electronic advance, not vacuum. Maybe somebody can help us in explaining how the electronic advance works to help clarify, as far as i know its in the ignition box under the dash, so computerised advanced curve rather than vacuum suction on the mechanics of the distributer via the carburettor.

Also what speed do you want the car to idle at, maybe then we can sort this issue out.
RJ8V
Cadet

Post by RJ8V »

Thanx for the info johnny.

Problem im having is that when cold the car will idle at approx 850rpm and a bit shaky. When warm idling will be just under a 1000rpm but when driving quite a distance (my work is 60km from home) the idling climbs to just over 1000rpm. I would just be satisfied if I can get the idling to a stable rpm on or under 1000rpm.

JohnnyVw
Cadet

Post by JohnnyVw »

Its a carb, so the idle will be lower when it is cold, until the engine heats up enough and better fuel vaporization can occur then the idle will rise. Use the choke when it is cold until the temp meter shows warm or in the middle as in the citi, then release it and it should be stable.

I see what you are saying the idle is very unstable, should be constant at 900 thereabouts. I would try adjusting the screw with the spring, turn it out a tiny bit, which will close the primary throttle plate a bit hopefully lowering the idle, the opposite to raise it.

I dont know if you should advance or retard your ignition timing, because the car seems to be doing this by itself depending on the water temp inside the block.

It really is just fine turns of the screws to get the idle spot on, also you must make sure your ignition timing is set, not sure if you changed it at all.
RJ8V
Cadet

Post by RJ8V »

To be honest i did use some advise from someone by adjusting distributor itself untill idling is better but I think it was just a load of crap as I only adjusted firing if Im not mistaken? Perhaps should go to workshop and adjust timing to standard maybe this will sort it. Thanx for the pointers and guess you are right I have to get it in my system that this is a carb and cant expect the high perfection as from injection.

So cheers on that.

JohnnyVw
Cadet

Post by JohnnyVw »

No problem. Carbs are good reliable systems and the electronic advance on your citi makes it alot better than the vacuum advance system. Also the 1.4 carb is one of the most economical citis, so another plus. The heating up just takes some getting used to.

Also to adjust the ignition timing just slightly turn the distributor clockwise or anticlockwise to advance or retard your timing. Its nothing major really just turn about 3 degrees in or out of the setting and see the results on the idle.

But anyways goodluck with your car.
Vandetta
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years

Can't get second throat to open on carburetor

Post by Vandetta »

Hi my carburetor started giving me problems when opening its second throat I cleaned it and it started working now and then. But doesnt work at all now have tried cleaning it again I put new vacuum pipes on and I got another carb that was in good condition and switched some parts and seals and still didn't come right I'm not sure what could be the problem it's a 1.8 sport and really struggles on top end its a shame 😞

Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Citi g
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 11 months

Post by Citi g »

Hi guys...just experienced some idle issues with my vw golf 1.4 carb 2005 model

Here's what it's doing
Idle goes up around 1200rpm when rolling downhill
When left to idle it idles very low then sometimes switches off

Base plate is fairly new
Coil is new
Timing is correct