Which oil to use?

GTiDon
Brigadier
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 1161

Re: Which oil to use?

Post by GTiDon »

I don't think the problem is parts numbers or system faults related..
graham savage
Colonel
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Caddy's, Mk2's, Mk4, Ford etc
Membership No: 803

Post by graham savage »

4ePikanini wrote:Buy the best oil you can but shop around for prices.

My R5 demands 505.01 so I use Helix HX7 AV 5w-30.

Goldwagen wants R185/liter.
I got it from Buffalo Lubricants across the street for R84/liter.
Sorry? It's R75 odd bucks per litre bottle???

@GTiDon, correct, the systems aren't wrong, it's always a lazy salesman or a salesman that doesn't listen or a customer who isn't sure which I turn back to a lazy salesman. He should go and check the engine number or VIN number and double check!

Incorrectly supplied parts kills me, to think the poor one goes all the way home, strips old parts only to discover the new ones don't fit! It's BS!
blacfly
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Type 1 1973

Post by blacfly »

Some outdated fun on oil nonsense to read:

http://www.goodoil4u.com/comparative_mo ... sting.html

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
4ePikanini
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Touareg R5
Membership No: missing

Post by 4ePikanini »

graham savage wrote:
4ePikanini wrote:Buy the best oil you can but shop around for prices.

My R5 demands 505.01 so I use Helix HX7 AV 5w-30.

Goldwagen wants R185/liter.
I got it from Buffalo Lubricants across the street for R84/liter.
Sorry? It's R75 odd bucks per litre bottle???

@GTiDon, correct, the systems aren't wrong, it's always a lazy salesman or a salesman that doesn't listen or a customer who isn't sure which I turn back to a lazy salesman. He should go and check the engine number or VIN number and double check!

Incorrectly supplied parts kills me, to think the poor one goes all the way home, strips old parts only to discover the new ones don't fit! It's BS!
Phone Goldwagen East London and ask them what their HX-7 AV costs per liter. Not the normal HX7 but the AV version.
My Touareg Build
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon
micky69
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Post by micky69 »

for a new car e g golf 7 gti use full synthetic 502 spec vw 0-30w as car gets older 5-40 synthetic i been using valvoline for 40 yrs but difficult to find, u need oil with low sulphur low ash, the idea is say on a cold day oil must be able to move say from point a to point b in min time this is achivable with full synthetic oil say compared to a mineral oil. and reduce wear u get when engine is cold, one should drive low revs say for first 6-8 km till engine is at normal operating temp, there are a lot of oil specs e g flash point ( temp which oil will ignite) which are difficult to understand, and oil does get old ,so change it at 10.000km or must do 1 a year michael retired merc technician old toppie
mellos
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by mellos »

Am I imagining it or what, this original thread is from 2014?
GTiDon
Brigadier

Post by GTiDon »

micky69 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:43 am ) which are difficult to understand, and oil does get old ,so change it at 10.000km or must do 1 a year michael retired merc technician old toppie
I am still sceptic of oil just getting old, Specifically modern expensive synthetic oils. Always feels like money makign skeems of the service providers to me. Some of my vehicles barely do 2000 km a year. I have heard of oil absorbing moisture. Also sceptical of that. For example I have a car standing indoors in a fairly dry climate these days. For moisture to flow in through the breather and mix with the oil and stay there when the oil reaches running temperature which is above the evaprating temperature of water... This car is currently about 200 days over 1 year service at about 1500km done on the current liquimoly oil.

Then to cope with not getting wacked by service expenses I always stock service kits for all the vehicles well in advance and buy oil when ever I see it at a good price so I have it when service time comes and doesnt cost me a cent then. Some of my oil stock is then over a year old. Does it just break down with age in a sealed bottle or is that ok?
GTiDon
Brigadier

Post by GTiDon »

To add, a couple of them over 400 000km without any rebuild and still dont need a rebuild
HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by HendrikCTI »

@GTiDon

I agree with you. I am for couple of years now using a bike to do my weekly commuting causing the family car to barely run.
This car I am replacing oil every second year and then it only did 3000km.
My Datsun is driven even less. 4 to 5000km in 4 years time and yes, I change that oil every 4th year!
I just run the engine for a long time by taking it on a highway drive to mix the oil in the engine thoroughly and to have it nice and hot just before draining.
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz