CiTi Golf Thermostat Issues

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: CiTi Golf Thermostat Issues

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes everything is perfect. You can buy the sensors at vw or goldwagen. But don't change for the sake of change.what you are describing is perfect for your car.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

I find modern temperature gauges very irritating. They remain more or less glued to 1/2 (or 90), regardless of whether the fan is running or not. My old Mk1 had a gauge that was at 1/2 under normal conditions, and moved slightly over 1/2 before the fan kicked in, and when the fan switched off, it was back to about 1/2. I could see exactly what went on with the temperature. Modern gauges "think for you".
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
BrandonBester
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by BrandonBester »

Just one more thing so if my top pipe and bottom pipe heats up and fan kicks in at half and stays there its 100%

Where can I buy the Water temperature sensor the one that sits in the plastic flange with yellow ring on it ?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Dude at 6:46 i answered that question and it is at the top of this page. Don't repeat yourself.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

BrandonBester wrote:Thanks Bro

Just one more thing so if my top pipe and bottom pipe heats up and fan kicks in at half and stays there its 100%

Where can I buy the Water temperature sensor the one that sits in the plastic flange with yellow ring on it ?
You can buy it from GW DE LA REY or a GW close to you or at the VW dealership.
TeddyGolf123
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: VW Golf
Car Model: MK1 1.4i

Post by TeddyGolf123 »

Hi there. I also have a issue off overheating on my city golf 1.4i. I have replaced my rings and bearings. Never overheating or was using any oil and the rings was burnt on to the pistons. Sorted everything out got the timing sorted but now it seems to be overheating. Could it be the water pomp or can it be something else.
Currently owned VW City Rox 2008 Mk1 1.4i and
BMW E46 325i Touring
Previously owned Ford Saffire 3.0 GLX
Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 2003 3.0 V6
Nissan Hardbody 2004 3.0 TD
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

TeddyGolf123 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:08 pm Hi there. I also have a issue off overheating on my city golf 1.4i. I have replaced my rings and bearings. Never overheating or was using any oil and the rings was burnt on to the pistons. Sorted everything out got the timing sorted but now it seems to be overheating. Could it be the water pomp or can it be something else.
Could be various things and even timing that is off or an airlock formed with the first water fill up and start. It is always good practice to replace the water pump and thermostat when you redo a motor. Also new oil pump.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Check that the thin water pipe that runs from the radiator to the expansion bottle is not blocked.

Rust and scale builds up inside it and prevents the cooling system from bleeding the air back to the expansion bottle, creating an air lock that will end your new engine. A new length of pipe is dirt cheap compared to rebuilding a motor twice.

Some of the mp9 motors have that pipe running through the throttle body which also gets blocked up, if this is so simply bypass it and go straight to the expansion bottle. That coolant circuit is there to help the throttle stay warm in very cold weather.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
BABAZANNN
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Re: CiTi Golf clutch problem

Post by BABAZANNN »

Im having dificulties driving uphill. My car either stops or the clutch smells like its burning. I recently got a New clutch. I am also a new driver. Please help it is getting really frustrating.