GTS101
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: golf 1 gts ,84 caddy 18i

advantages vs disadvantages of 1800 carb

Post by GTS101 »

Hi guys

just wanted to know the pros and cons of fitting an 1800 carb to a 1300 motor. i have the carb laying around so just wanted to know if it was a good idea to try it on the GY motor.
Thanks
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Re: advantages vs disadvantages of 1800 carb

Post by Quik-Trix »

Not much if any. The carbs are all the same across the engine range IIRC. Could be wrong, but there might be minimal
GTS101
Cadet

Post by GTS101 »

howzit quik......

would the jet in the carb not differ? so if the carbs are all the same across the range....why does consumption on a 1300 and 1800 differ? would it be because of the rate of fuel usage incomparison to the amount of fuel supplied at a cetain time?

the 1300 carb is doing weird things lately when i take a left bend the car dies and if i accelerate hard then let of it dies.... so was just gonna pop the 1800 carb on if noting dangerous or harmfull is going to happen the the motor i might aswell go ahead..
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

Check this thread out :
http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... es#p308137

I would suggest you get a carb service kit and overhaul your carb and check the base plate, most likely to causing your car to die after hard acceleration
GTS101
Cadet

Post by GTS101 »

thanks alot quik...with regards to the 1300 carb its not worth the repair. the guy that had the car broke of the securing screw for the airbox aswel so its been running with no filter for awhile and that air sound is annoying. so will put the 1800 car n if anything does go wrong il put a post up to make other aware.

Thanks alot again