marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Mk1 Jetta Carburetor

Post by marzbars »

So I thought I was clever and tried something above my current skill level, my first mistake was stripping the carb down and cleaning it without having the service kit.

Second mistake was not taking more pics of the parts assembled and step by step before I stripped it.

Third mistake was assuming that all VW carbs are the same and I should be able to find a diagram in my MK2 Heynes manual.

So after my best attempt I got everything back together again but there are a hand full of replacement parts I do not know where to go.

I have 2 Jets left of different sizes, a spring, something that looks like an injector just smaller, a copper needle and a bunch of seals and rubbers.

What I would like to know is, what model carb do I have on my car so I can search for a DIY or Diagram.

I know it is different from the Manual carb as the base plate for the Automatic is different and 3 times as expensive.

The only number I could find on the cab is B55AC7170 but a google search returns no results.
marzbars
VWCSA Member

Re: Mk1 Jetta Carburetor

Post by marzbars »

I think I found it, looks identical to this pic found here http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/34314 ... _JTTA.html

Part No.
026 129 016H
026 129 016N
1GD 129 015
1GS 129 015R
BBW 129 015S
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

marzbars wrote:So I thought I was clever and tried something above my current skill level, my first mistake was stripping the carb down and cleaning it without having the service kit.

Second mistake was not taking more pics of the parts assembled and step by step before I stripped it.

Third mistake was assuming that all VW carbs are the same and I should be able to find a diagram in my MK2 Heynes manual.

So after my best attempt I got everything back together again but there are a hand full of replacement parts I do not know where to go.

I have 2 Jets left of different sizes, a spring, something that looks like an injector just smaller, a copper needle and a bunch of seals and rubbers.

What I would like to know is, what model carb do I have on my car so I can search for a DIY or Diagram.

I know it is different from the Manual carb as the base plate for the Automatic is different and 3 times as expensive.

The only number I could find on the cab is B55AC7170 but a google search returns no results.
I saw that my mechanic had a mk2 jetta auto with identical carb to a manual and the pic you posted is not that different from a manual carb unless im missing something big.

but the part you refer to as an injector, i think that goes on the top were you adjust the float level with a big flat screw driver
marzbars
VWCSA Member

Post by marzbars »

I figured that out last night, it has a plastic bit on top you have to unscrew first, that thing was so tight I could not get it lose, did not want to use Q20 but think that I would have to
marzbars
VWCSA Member

Post by marzbars »

Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

Thats a part i dont like to play with, as it leaks very easily if not sealed correctly, saw guys seal it with pratley when it starts leaking
marzbars
VWCSA Member

Post by marzbars »

Mine was pissing fuel out all over the place hence the overhaul