Psycho8v
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla Quest 1.6
Membership No: 1881

Re: Cam for 2.0 8v N/A motor

Post by Psycho8v »

Hi guys, please excuse my hijack, but this is also cam related on a 2.0 8v. Stephan, I know you said that Estas is the best and probably the only option for a volkswagen. Now comes the question, does anybody have experience with Piper cams? Are they good, or bad, or just ugle? Or should I just stick to Estas?
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Post by Torker »

U3 wrote:that is weird. i have been told by 2 people that the mp9 will run it but it over fuels. 1 guy says he melted a piston in 2 months.
Hole in the piston is caused by under fueling (running lean) rather than overfuelling. Might be timing as well (detonation)
Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Piper cams are very good. But you are going to pay almost R5k for one landed in sa new so i kanda never use them for that reason.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Psycho8v
Lieutenant-General

Post by Psycho8v »

Stephan, thanks a million. On a side note, IIRC Sarel Eloff sells Piper cams, I'll give him a buzz on pricing. If it's a good price, I'll go for it. :grin:
Vinnige Fanie
Lazy Poes
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Polo Gti
Membership No: 1720

Post by Vinnige Fanie »

Psycho1400 wrote:Stephan, thanks a million. On a side note, IIRC Sarel Eloff sells Piper cams, I'll give him a buzz on pricing. If it's a good price, I'll go for it. :grin:
Sit die geld by dan doen jy 16v dan kort jy nie groot cams om stock krag te maak nie.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Sarel does not sell piper. Sadly he seems to have fallen for the install the cheapest stuff lately which means ***. if you want piper you will have to mport it yourself. Just get an estas and be done with it......
I see on piper's website a cam is £193 so that is R2729 + vat = R3111 and that is before shipping. For a vw 8v they also have only a 270,285 and 300. So realistically you will pay at least R4k for it landed here and for what?
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Psycho8v
Lieutenant-General

Post by Psycho8v »

Vinnige Fanie wrote:Sit die geld by dan doen jy 16v dan kort jy nie groot cams om stock krag te maak nie.
One day bud, one day. The day that I go 16v, the puffer is going in with it. Then I'll go for power :grin:

panic-mechanic wrote:Sarel does not sell piper. Sadly he seems to have fallen for the install the cheapest stuff lately which means ***. if you want piper you will have to mport it yourself. Just get an estas and be done with it......
I see on piper's website a cam is £193 so that is R2729 + vat = R3111 and that is before shipping. For a vw 8v they also have only a 270,285 and 300. So realistically you will pay at least R4k for it landed here and for what?
This is why I love this forum. A shed load full of knowlegde, and no one is afraid to share that knowledge. Thanks Stephan, I understand your point fully, it's just that I was led to believe that he can get me a piper cam for R1800. That's the reason for my question. But it is cool, I know estas thanks to you and Skully, and my cam has served me very well, I'll use them again. Thanks for all the help. :hi:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

There is no way you can land a piper cam here for R1800 so unless it 's 2nd hand that is not happening.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

VWicked
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Model: Golf 2 GTi
Membership No: 1492

Post by VWicked »

Lots of fuss here but the simple thing is estas has proven itself and is worth every cent and is well priced and available.

I doubt spending the extra moola on any other import brand will see the value, even if it gives you 3hp with same duration will it be worth the cost? Unless you chasing dyno figures, serious cost per hp must be done here!

I upgraded from 268 to 276, on same dyno same day and got 17hp gain on my specific car. That 17hp cost me R50 per hp as cam was a used unit but even if it cost me R100 per hp for a new estas i would take it anyday.

Now I can go and get the head flow for R3k, perhaps get a few more hp but is it worth it? Bang for buck mods, decide what you want to build and where you going and then buy the parts... For me it was to have a reliable daily with some added punch, unfortunately im paying the school fees now as I still don't know which cam i want but i am determined to help the guys out here by trying different cams on my car.
Have you had your bottle of Hatorade today?

1992 Golf Mk2 GTi VR6
1994 Caddy 1800 Sport
U3
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by U3 »

thanks vwicked. im saving for the 282 cam so will get dictator system in maybe a month or 2 and the 282 shrick cam if i can find 1 available.
98 GTi EXEC :
FFZ box + CTI Flywheel
Koni 40/25mm STR T Kit

Viper
Goldwagen Delarey
Registered for: 13 years 2 months
Car Model: GOLF 1 1870cc 8v ethanol
Membership No: 1800

Post by Viper »

My opinion on this issue is. A few years back we did estas and then it become expensive. A gap in the market opened and *** entered. But it seams that the gap in price between ESTAS ans *** is shrinking. Now the only reason we still do *** is no one wants to pay the price for ESTAS. Now as 308WIN has pointed out we are running ESTAS in our car even if we sell *** (now that will tell you the full story) but not every OK on the street got the R2500.00 lying around to spend on a cam!

On a std management and mp9 throttle if found it's not a good idea to go bigger than 276. If you run aftermarket management i would go 288 or even 298 you just will have to feather it in the morning till its hot.

My car my money save and buy ESTAS!
Vinnige Fanie
Lazy Poes

Post by Vinnige Fanie »

Viper wrote:My opinion on this issue is. A few years back we did estas and then it become expensive. A gap in the market opened and *** entered. But it seams that the gap in price between ESTAS ans *** is shrinking. Now the only reason we still do *** is no one wants to pay the price for ESTAS. Now as 308WIN has pointed out we are running ESTAS in our car even if we sell *** (now that will tell you the full story) but not every OK on the street got the R2500.00 lying around to spend on a cam!

On a std management and mp9 throttle if found it's not a good idea to go bigger than 276. If you run aftermarket management i would go 288 or even 298 you just will have to feather it in the morning till its hot.

My car my money save and buy ESTAS!
Estas 8V Cam is R1495 IIRC from Nellis I paid R4k for 2 16V Cams.
Viper
Goldwagen Delarey
Registered for: 13 years 2 months
Car Model: GOLF 1 1870cc 8v ethanol
Membership No: 1800

Post by Viper »

Now that is cheep. Why are we having this discussion then? We can not even supply a *** for that price! :(
Vinnige Fanie
Lazy Poes

Post by Vinnige Fanie »

Viper wrote:
Now that is cheep. Why are we having this discussion then? We can not even supply a *** for that price! :(
So give Nellis a buzz :hug:
U3
Cadet

Post by U3 »

saving for teh cam now. not all of us have R1500 lying around...
98 GTi EXEC :
FFZ box + CTI Flywheel
Koni 40/25mm STR T Kit

Vinnige Fanie
Lazy Poes

Post by Vinnige Fanie »

Pm Barney 1212 on the forum he has one available.
zain_c
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years 3 months
Car Model: Accord + MK2 Jetta CSi
Membership No: missing

Post by zain_c »

U3...just save up and don't settle for sh*t. Be patient, it will pay off in the end, you sounding like you a bit too hasty and willing to settle for anything right about now.

Ran the 282 on just mp9 for about a month before fitting the UniQ, had absolutely no issues.
Viper wrote:not every OK on the street got the R2500.00 lying around to spend on a cam
i bought a 282 form nellis a year ago and paid R1390, gave him a call last week for a 288 cam for solid lifter and i got quoted R1400, same price for a 276.

I've never ever fitted other brands besides Estas in my 8v's and previously owned 16v's, never had any problems either.
2010 Honda Accord K24
1992 MK2 Jetta CSi

ex:
86 MK2 Jetta CLX
88 MK2 Golf CSL
14 6R Polo
97 Caddy
83 MK1 GTi
04 Citi 14.7 s2s Killarney
06 MK5 Golf
92 MK2 2.0 16v GTi Exec
88 MK2 CLi 1.9 16v 15.0 Killarney
96 MK3 GTS
Wit Ark
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years
Car Model: Citi Chico baby dragster

Post by Wit Ark »

Nellis is very well priced, Not too long ago i ordered a new cam including a new vernier and i paid R1800and something if memmory serves, including transport all the way to JHB where motor is being assembeled. He did all the arrangements etc, the next day Sarel confirmed the cam arrived. Thanx Nellis, caunt wait to get the motor back now! :-)
2.0i ADY. 90.2kW & 198.1Nm atw excl. 50Horses VAT 13.9980sec @ OKH nationals 7/4/2012
U3
Cadet

Post by U3 »

well, i have settled on saving for the cam with Nellis.
i did want something asap because i wanted to feel a difference and i dont like waiting..but i have settled for waiting.
also organised a dictator system so all is good my side!
98 GTi EXEC :
FFZ box + CTI Flywheel
Koni 40/25mm STR T Kit

DeanGP
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 6 months
Car Make: VW JETTA 2
Car Model: MK2 Jetta CSX

Post by DeanGP »

Hy guys I'm new to the forum I would like to know after reading ur guys interesting and informed post
can I run a 288 cam with my dellorto 40s
Current Jetta MK2 2L 8V
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Post by Torker »

DeanGP wrote:Hy guys I'm new to the forum I would like to know after reading ur guys interesting and informed post
can I run a 288 cam with my dellorto 40s
Yes, 288 will work but 298 will work even better...
Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
appy
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Make: vdub
Car Model: citi.com

Post by appy »

It should say on the cam, the brand is usually on the shaft and degree at the end of it somewhere eg 276 or what eva.