2001 Golf 4 1.6 Sr idling problem

JustinR
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

2001 Golf 4 1.6 Sr idling problem

Post by JustinR »

Howzit gents.My name is Justin from PE.I have a 2001 Golf 4 1.6 sr.My car idles rough/hunts.Had it on a few diagnotic machines and the maf comes up with the error,ground short to earth.Changed the maf with a bosch unit and the same problem.Recently the car has had the odd back fire and is struggle to accelerate pass 120km,as if it goes into limp mode,changed the fuel pump,pressure regulator and filter all bought from.Goldwagen,nothing has changed.Lamda sensor.and temp.sensor changed as well.Help please as i am.ready to drive this car into a wall or into a river.Thanx in advance.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 2001 Golf 4 1.6 Sr idling problem

Post by panic-mechanic »

If you unplug the maf sensor does the fault change - ie does it tellyou open circuit. If the fault does not change you most likely have a broekn wire in the loom between the management and the MAF.
Trace them with a multimeter. Also check if you have 5V on one of the pins in the plug.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
JustinR
Enlisted

Post by JustinR »

Nothing changes,fault remains the same.Had it with a auto lex and he checked for ope wires etc ,nothing.Think.i will try a different auto lec amd ask him to.check.for me
JustinR
Enlisted

Post by JustinR »

Hi gents,my problem.still persists.Rough idle and hestitation when accelaration at timeanit does not want to go faster than 120km and the odd misfire.The hunting is so bad that the car cuts off and warning lights come on Alternator Workshop.Had a friend air flownon today and no difference.Fitted new fuel pump and regulator last year that i bought from goldwagen.Had.to kick start the car yesterday and. It suddenly drove like a dream,it had power and no hesitation but the rought idle was still there.
Im thinking cam sensor or dirty/blocked injectors.
Help please guys,been like this since last year Aug and not 1 mechanic could help in PE.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Have you done the basics. Compression test, checked cam timing etc etc. it's incredibly difficult to try and diagnose stuff like that from a distance.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

JustinR
Enlisted

Post by JustinR »

Hi panic mechanic,yes we did ,smoke leak test,compression,timming.3 faults come up.everytime,lamda,charcoal.activator and mass.aiflow.Cleaned the lamda which is about 8mnths old,replaced air flow.After the throttlw.body was cleaned,the searching/rough idle went away and was replaced with very high idling.The car drives better,power is back,no hesitation.Please help.on how to fix the high idling.Thanx in.advance
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Search for vacuum leaks and or replace the pcv valve. Often the cause of high idle.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

JustinR
Enlisted

Post by JustinR »

Thank you panic mechanic.Did a smoke leak test,and the only.place smoke came out was from the dip stick holder,which was strange.Is the pcv valvr on top of the intake manifold?If yes i have noticed some oil around that area...
JustinR
Enlisted

Post by JustinR »

Please help gents,still having an issue with my car idling high and it cuts out radomly while driving,goes into limp mode,cant rev it nothing.After switching the car off it takes a few swings before it starts again.If anyone knows what can be wrong,,your assistannce or advise will be highly appreciated.
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

As suggested , replace the pcv and take it from there.

Sounds like too much pressure in your crankcase , what was the results from the compression test?
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
JustinR
Enlisted

Post by JustinR »

@ice king,thank you.Can you please tell me where to find the pcv on my car,been to 4 different "vw mechs" and they do not know....
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

People have different names for the same thing ,

On your motor , the valve is between the Oil Cap and tappet cover - has a breather pipe running to it.

To remove - turn oil cap off - turn valve out of tappet cover - buy new - install the same way as you removed it.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
JustinR
Enlisted

Post by JustinR »

will do and thank you kindly Ice King,much appreciated!
Fundi
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Fundi »

Also have the same problem,the car struggle to starts,and when it starts doesn't pick up revs,I have changed fuel pump,fuel regulator,throttle ,plugs and plug leads but the car still doesn't pick up revs,it idles but no power,pls assist .
Quintech
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 11 months

Post by Quintech »

Evening gents, I know it's been 4 years.. when reading this text chain I finally know "facksakes, can't only be me having these problems"
Gents I having the same problems over the past 2 years with my mk4 1.6sr estate.

EPC light came first, briefly. When I got the car It would only come on maybe once a week, 2 or 3 times a day, then I'd just switch her off, back on again an it was gone. Sometimes then I had to do it twice for it to go away.
Probably 6 months came an gone like this. Then it started to happen more often and frequent.

Till where she is now, EPC light on - refs jumping from 750 800 to about 2000, like it's Jumping from the one to the other. No throttle response when I tap acceleration pedal.

Around 5 Mechanics and few auto lecs had a look at it, this that the other thing. All moving me from the one sensor to another

New throttle body, MAF sensor, crank sensor, PCV valve on tapet cover, EGR cleaned, co2 sensor, feul filter , and pumps still working. Spark on Al the plugs.

Car can still start but it just keep reving up and down with no response on much of anything I replaced, checked, cleaned, cleared and tried.

I'm not quite acquainted with the more electronic and sensor like things on the modern engines, I've only got experience on a hand full of engines, much older then this one. Last engine I worked with was a 1275gt Leyland on a mini.
Older engines you just give them one raised eyebrow and a "Hhay, you Kies your mother with that mouth - Kom Hier!"

Really having a hard time with this mk4 waggy, I need to get it running somehow guys just don't know where to go to next, Iwould appreciate your feedback and guidance gents
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Have you got a diagnostic readout? The EPC is on, so it's trying to tell you where to go looking for the fault.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -