Mk1 golf 1.4 carb

Nashon
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Mk1 golf 1.4 carb

Post by Nashon »

Hi guys .. Hoping that I can get some help here.. I have a 1.4 carburetor golf. The problem I am having is when I start my car in the morning and idle it for about 5mins it idles just fine. As soon as I switch the car off and try to start it again after about 5mins it refuses to idle. What could be the issue? Please help
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Mk1 golf 1.4 carb

Post by panic-mechanic »

Do you use the choke to start it initially?. Do you use the choke again 5 mins later?. Have you tried it choke on and choke off?.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
JayJay1896
Enlisted

Post by JayJay1896 »

Hey sorry, completely unrelated but in desperate need of help.

Had a guy replace my clutch kit, and then he said my clutch cable was worn, granted it was worn and had it replaced..

Went to Jetta and Golf city parts they gave me a clutch cable which they are sure was the right one.
However I'm having an issue adjusting the clutch(Advice needed)
Clutch catches all the way at the bottom and a bit hard, adjusted a plastic like which I assume determines how much of the cable comes out.
Pretty sure I'm not sure what I'm doing here.. is there anything else I should adjust, clutch pedal is high.

Next problem is when I got home last night, smoke came out of the radiator and immediately noticed the fan wasn't working because the engine was warm, and the fan wasn't on like it automatically does.
Is this due to a relay? Or switch? I bridged the switch with a wire and the fan goes on. However I'm not inclined to drive around like that.

Another issue is a shudder in 1st gear and grinding in reverse, also hesitation when I drive. Could the clutch adjustment be related to this? The guy who did my clutch said it was a bit too long, however I've spent enough money already and not ready to spend more.. with labour and parts I've already reached 3000 +.

Help me please. This car is my daily.

Thanks in advance
Nashon
Enlisted

Post by Nashon »

I don't use my choke at all.. On a cold start I hold my rev at 1500rmp for about a min or so until the engine is warm and it idles without cutting off. Ive been doing that all along. Its just recently that when I idle and switch off and restart the car that it doesn't want to idle at all .
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Try using the choke.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Panic is right, but I think you have a leaky base gasket.

Air leaks are the main reason a carb fed motor won't idle.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Nashon
Enlisted

Post by Nashon »

Okay I will change the base gasket and see what happens after that.. Panic might be right but the problem is when I purchased my car the choke cable was cut and I never bothered to replace it as I never had any problems starting the car.
Nashon
Enlisted

Post by Nashon »

Hi guys.. in need of some help again .. I recently changed my engine from a 1.3 to a 1.4 .. I did the complete motor up from rings and bearings to big end bearings.. I've already done like 1500km on this 1.4 engine and I've noticed that the car is lacking power. What could be the reason for this