Vw 1.9tdi weird issue

Dman97
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months
Car Make: 1.9tdi sportline 9n3
Car Model: Polo

Vw 1.9tdi weird issue

Post by Dman97 »

Hi guys, sooo, recently, if i take an odd turn or my left wheel bumps oddly, my trip meter will go to zero and my powersteering gets stiff and the light illuminates, my abs light comes on too. Further to this, the car also idles weirdly/rough. Switch the car off and back on, on the first swing, the dash goes dead, second swing, everything comes on and car starts 100%. Last week, i tightened everything by the main earth to the body and sprayed some anti corrosion stuff. Car was fine all week since tuesday. This morning, i get in the car, as usual, wait for the lights on the dash to go off before cranking and boom, cluster goes blank. Turn off, turn back on and everything starts 100% but trip meter has reset. Any clues where to look?i’d appreciate any tips or solutions guys :smile: (1.9 tdi sportline polo, 2006)
Last edited by Dman97 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Re: Vw 1.9tdi weird issue

Post by amstel18 »

Remove the main earth that runs from the battery to the body and gearbox and inspect it for damage.
I would also remove the main fuses (the big high amp ones) and inspect for hairline cracks.

Definitely an issue relating to power supply. Sometimes you don't notice a hairline crack whilst its all still in the car.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Add battery terminals to that list. They can appear to be tight, but not tight enough to make a proper contact. (if that makes sense)

There is a way to "repair" the original terminals, with some grinding.

Iv seen alot of the earth cables on these melt and corrode internally. The short piece from the battery to the strut tower.
Sometimes the weld on the strut tower to the lousy stud breaks off, so if it appears to be flimsy then take the ground to another spot.

Easier to get some welding cable and redo the earth cable, and add another from the battery to one of the bellhousing bolts.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

Had something similar a few years ago and it was the battery itself.

When last did you replace the battery?

Also remenber that batteries dont like cold weather and their weakness soon shows.
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite