1.9 Atd rattle sound when start or stop

the_plague_za
Enlisted
Registered for: 1 year 10 months

1.9 Atd rattle sound when start or stop

Post by the_plague_za »

Good day all apologies. The introduce myself page is not opening on my mobile..i will do that when I get to a pc. I have always read the topics but now I decided to join..i recently purchased a 9n3 1.9 tdi atd engine. Every now on again when I either start or turn off the car hot or cold I get a rattle sound.like spanners rattling together. It seems like at a certain point it will do it but not all the time. I have checked everything outside of the engine and nothing is loose. The cars has a smf aswell.i am suspecting the clutch plate, could this happens with the springs? Or maybe the oil pump chain? I can't find much information on it. Does this engine have a balance shaft aswell? This rattle noise only happens when on start or shut down the engine with the clutch in or out. Driving and accelerating is fine no issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The Plague
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Re: 1.9 Atd rattle sound when start or stop

Post by Howie-WP »

I am not sure it could be the clutch plate as you say it makes the rattle with clutch depressed or not? Also, you say SMF....these cars ran dual mass to cut down on vibes and noise?

"A single mass flywheel will make your car louder
In addition to more vibration, a single mass flywheel will also cause a “gear rattle”. Due to the decrease in dampening of the single-mass flywheel, more noise is created at the connection between the flywheel and clutch."
the_plague_za
Enlisted
Registered for: 1 year 10 months

Post by the_plague_za »

Thank you for the reply. I know smf does have noise. So it not really a chatter. It's more like a can with nuts rattling. I can maybe try record it and upload it here. I just don't want to tearing the car apart when you may be something so simple

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

To check if it's the gearbox, when car is running use a stethoscope or feel around g/box area if you can feel something.
Gavan
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 6 months

Post by Gavan »

Check that the aircon pipes are secured properly on the firewall of the car

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk