KaRBoN85
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 Jetta TDI

Hydraulic Lifters BKC Motor

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Hi All.

As of late my Lifters (As pointed out by 3 Mechanics) are quite noisy and need replacement. The noise is quite worrying, It does go away after a few minutes of driving, But while the noise is there performance is hampered. The RPM that the noise comes in varies. I have added a link to a video I took this morning.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuVZnPINOa_zgegw6kV ... w?e=vNYpAR

Can anyone advise how much lifters would cost? Anything else that would be worth replacing while a Mechanic has the top open?

Any Advice would be appreciated.

The Cam belt, rollers and Water pump was replaced around 5000KM back.

Vehicle is around 287000KM on the clock.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Hydraulic Lifters BKC Motor

Post by Ashveer03 »

Damn, I never heard lifters sound like that. I seen engines with completely busted lifters not even sounding like this.
Don't understand how the noise would be intermittent, unless it's a diesel knock that can't be heard over the phone.

Most of the time with badly damaged lifters, the cam gets eaten as well.

Could be damaged camshaft bearings, I havnt heard what this sounds like though. Or even incorrect lash, but at a certain point this should throw a fault code.

U can have an look of what the lifters are like just by opening up the Tappet cover and turning the engine by hand. If they dished or broken, time to strip.

Either way, replacing lifters on this motor requires alot of spares and oem bolts.

1. Lifters INA black - 8x lifters should cost around R1200 now if I'm not mistaken.
2. Camshaft if eaten
3. Camshaft bearings
4. Rocker arm bolts x8
5. Cam cap bolts x10
6. Tappet cover gasket
7. Tandem pump gasket - can be avoided if u know what u doing.

Always replace mentioned bolts and torque to proper spec.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Hydraulic Lifters BKC Motor

Post by missioner »

No bro, you have rod knock. At least that what it sounds like.

That sound is ba-ad. PD motors are not known for breaking lifters. Maybe the timing wasn't set correctly.

Go get an independent second opinion as to the cause of your noise. Maybe get a tow truck to transport your car.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+