What to do to extend the life of a 2006 Caddy 1.9 TDI

brycebiggs
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

What to do to extend the life of a 2006 Caddy 1.9 TDI

Post by brycebiggs »

Greetings

I own a 2006 Caddy 1.9 TDI Life which has done 284 000 km. I think I was told when I originally bought it that it had been imported. It has never let me down though there have been minor issues relating to windows and electrics.

CV joints (outer and inner) and brakes have just been sorted out. Getting it ready to go for roadworthy as it has just come off finance. Now I'm asking for advice.

The mechanic who services the vehicle said that now is when they start to give trouble and I should sell it. The question I am asking the fundis out there is - what can I do - if anything - to get another 250 000 km out of her? I'm not sure whether the cambelt has ever been replaced as I don't have the full service record. Have got a quote for a kit and can get someone to replace it.

Are there some things I can check or replace now that will keep her going for another 250 000? The only real fault I can see engine wise - and I'm a total appy - is that oil seems to come out of the top of the engine (from the tappet cover?) and this does not seem to be solved in a service. It is not a dramatic amount though as I have to put oil in only very occasionally.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards.
aristo92
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf MK7 GTI IS20H
Membership No: 3133

Re: What to do to extend the life of a 2006 Caddy 1.9 TDI

Post by aristo92 »

brycebiggs wrote:Greetings

I own a 2006 Caddy 1.9 TDI Life which has done 284 000 km. I think I was told when I originally bought it that it had been imported. It has never let me down though there have been minor issues relating to windows and electrics.

CV joints (outer and inner) and brakes have just been sorted out. Getting it ready to go for roadworthy as it has just come off finance. Now I'm asking for advice.

The mechanic who services the vehicle said that now is when they start to give trouble and I should sell it. The question I am asking the fundis out there is - what can I do - if anything - to get another 250 000 km out of her? I'm not sure whether the cambelt has ever been replaced as I don't have the full service record. Have got a quote for a kit and can get someone to replace it.

Are there some things I can check or replace now that will keep her going for another 250 000? The only real fault I can see engine wise - and I'm a total appy - is that oil seems to come out of the top of the engine (from the tappet cover?) and this does not seem to be solved in a service. It is not a dramatic amount though as I have to put oil in only very occasionally.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards.
They really good motors just make sure you always service, use a decent oil that's the right spec and you good to go. At that mileage cambelt should of been done previously. If you can't confirm it would good preventative maintenance. Another item that needs to be done at high mileage would be the lifters. Make sure to only get black top Ina lifters.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Regards, Armand.

Rides Thread: viewtopic.php?p=2577126#p2577126
brycebiggs
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by brycebiggs »

Thank you for the input Armand. Appreciated.
Kind regards
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

On which side is the oil leak? Could very well be the tandem pump that leaks.

At what milage did you get it?

If the correct spec oil was used I would not worry too much about the lifters, my ASZ is at 418000km and they are still fine!
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

These motors are very sensitive to Oil service, make sure you are using the correct spec and yes get the Cambelt plus water pump done ASAP.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Fairly Reliable, Just stick to 505.01 spec oils , make sure cambelt and waterpump is done on time and lastly dont fill crappy diesel
Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

And if you do the cambelt, replace all the rollers for the ribbed belt as well (and the belt itself, if it looks old).
I had the one roller seize, snapping the ribbed belt - in die middel van die Vrystaat. I was lucky it didn't get eaten by the cambelt, which would have been a catastrophe. At least I could drive to the closest town (obviously no alternator, no power steering).

Many people only replace the ribbed belt, but not its rollers.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -