Polo ATD

Ritmotdi
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Polo ATD

Post by Ritmotdi »

Hi There,

As mentioned in my intro, I drive a 9N3 Sportline, enjoyed it too much and bought a 74kw ATD as a project. It had a rough idle/misfire, and wouldn't rev up. I changed injectors and got it to rev up, but still had misfire on cyl 2. The car was over fueling like crazy. Had it resprayed and now it doesn't want to start, it swings but that's it. I am no mechanic, but I love working on my own things. Please help!!!!

Alternative to the above - I was thinking of taking out the ATD and fit a BKC 1.9tdi, but not sure whether it will be a straight fit and compatible with my ecu.

TIA,

Cello
Ritmotdi
Enlisted

Re: Polo ATD

Post by Ritmotdi »

Re the below, I did a search - seems like I will have to check my sensors first and see what happens. Will update if any progress. :oops: :oops:
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

Do you have access to VCDS or OBDEleven? If not, then please acquire one of those as it will make fault finding a helluva lot easier.

The PD motors are quite finnicky on injector timing, and also oil if you didn't know that.

with VCDS you will be able to check the injector values. Could be that either the timing is out, or that the injectors you replaced with are duds.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Ritmotdi
Enlisted

Post by Ritmotdi »

@amstel18 - do you know where to buy a proper VCDS and pricing if possible, as I was looking on Gumtree, but saw a post regarding the fake stuff sold.
Greenz
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Focus ST

Post by Greenz »

Check facebook marketplace
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

Ritmotdi wrote:@amstel18 - do you know where to buy a proper VCDS and pricing if possible, as I was looking on Gumtree, but saw a post regarding the fake stuff sold.
hex diagnostics is the authorised reseller in sa as far as i know

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Ritmotdi
Enlisted

Post by Ritmotdi »

@amstel18 & @Greenz - noted.

My second question remains unanswered - will the bkc fit into my polo 9n3 or not. I can get the engine and gearbox for below 20k.

TIA
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Hopefully u didn't buy the engine yet...

Bkc is a straight fit but the cam/crank signals won't work as that's an edc16 engine wherelse polo is an edc15. Cam and crank pickups differ.

Cam signal can be sorted by swapping the pulley, crank on the other hand will be an issue because the bkc has the crank sensor on the rear main seal, and the atd is on the crankshaft. Teeth count are different amongst the 2 hence it would not work.

That's pretty much going backward because the new tech sucks.

Just buy an import Asz, going dirt cheap these days and it's much stronger than a bkc.
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Ritmotdi
Enlisted

Post by Ritmotdi »

Thanks Ashveer for responding. Luckily I opted to not buy. I am now in the process of buying a similar ATD engine from a place in CT and import to Namibia. Less modifications as the vehicle is originally an ATD.