Polo 1.9TDI Cambelt change

Showi
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 1 month

Polo 1.9TDI Cambelt change

Post by Showi »

Hi all,

Need some advice here:

I am driving a polo 1.9TDI sportline (stage 1 software and straight pipe), I am relocating to Cape Town at the end of this month and are planning on driving the car down from Pretoria.

I last did a service on 123k and the car is now on 130k, I seen the cambelt (toothed belt) was last changed at 71k in 2017, is it necessary for me to change it now before such a long drive? Also what should a cambelt replacement generally cost in todays time? (from a service center that is RMI approved and stamps the service books)

Also, I replaced CV joints on the car recently, however, I see that the front left (passenger) wheel was recently covered in grease all on the inside of the rim, what could be the problem there? Want to get some sort of idea before asking the mechanic what needs to be done.

Last thing, for a long drive such as PTA to CPT, will my car make it? What concerns are there with such a long drive on a '07 TDI with 130k Mileage? (The car has never given me any trouble to date and is running smooth and strong)

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
saxo
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Membership No: missing

Re: Polo 1.9TDI Cambelt change

Post by saxo »

If you are asking all these questions then rather replace the cambelt, cv's and so on.
Nobody will know when your belt might snap, I've seen brand new replaced belts snap on 1.9 tdi's.
Cambelt service from a non rmi cost R4000 with waterpump. (Price from The Diesel Doctor)
Greenz
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Focus ST

Post by Greenz »

Showi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:56 am Hi all,

Need some advice here:

I am driving a polo 1.9TDI sportline (stage 1 software and straight pipe), I am relocating to Cape Town at the end of this month and are planning on driving the car down from Pretoria.

I last did a service on 123k and the car is now on 130k, I seen the cambelt (toothed belt) was last changed at 71k in 2017, is it necessary for me to change it now before such a long drive? Also what should a cambelt replacement generally cost in todays time? (from a service center that is RMI approved and stamps the service books)

Also, I replaced CV joints on the car recently, however, I see that the front left (passenger) wheel was recently covered in grease all on the inside of the rim, what could be the problem there? Want to get some sort of idea before asking the mechanic what needs to be done.

Last thing, for a long drive such as PTA to CPT, will my car make it? What concerns are there with such a long drive on a '07 TDI with 130k Mileage? (The car has never given me any trouble to date and is running smooth and strong)

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Take it back to whoever did the cv's.Maybe the clamps on the boots weren't put on properly or maybe the boots are torn.
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Agreed on the CVs. If the inside of the wheel is covered in grease AFTER work was done on the CVs, then simply take it back to the workshop.

Regarding the cambelt:
To quote Panic Mechanic: I don't have my crystal ball with me right now...

Jokes aside, a good rule of thumb for cambelt service intervals is 90k km and/or 6 years. Your car is still well short of that, so in principle, if the belt was correctly replaced and tensioned, it "should" be fine for some time yet. But only you yourself can put yourself at ease.

If it were mine, I'd remove the top cambelt cover and inspect the belt. If there are no signs of perishing or fraying, and if the edges of the teeth aren't overly worn, it "should" be fine.

If you do go for a cambelt change, I'd advise a change of the serpentine belt as well, including its tensioner and roller (especially if you don't know the age of these components). I had the cambelt and serpentine belt replaced on my TDI, but not the tensioner. It seized on the way back from CPT and I had to be towed home.

If the engine is maintained, a drive to CPT is absolutely no problem at all.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Car will make it CPT from PTA without any issues.

Just do a service including the Cambelt with tensioner.
Car is still with such loe kilos.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.