Jetta 5 1.9TDI service

KaRBoN85
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 Jetta TDI

Jetta 5 1.9TDI service

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Hey guys. Need some advice. I decided to climb under the bonnet and get to work.

Can't figure out which pipe to remove to flush out my radiator. Some advice would be appreciated.

So far replaced the oil with VW Special D and new oil filter. GW Southdale had this and Liqui Moly. So went for the cheaper option.

Replaced the Air Filter.

About to change the Diesel filter today too.

Anything i may have overlooked?

Vehicle sitting around 265K

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: Jetta 5 1.9TDI service

Post by Callum229 »

Lower pipe on the radiator. Have to leave it to drain though as thermostat hinders coolant flow from the head and it ends up flowing slowly or to flush it completely, remove the lower radiator pipe that connects to the head, the thermostat will come out as well. Put a new thermostat.

Run some injector cleaner? Check EGR for soot buildup incase it needs to be cleaned?
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Update: GW supplied the incorrect Diesel filter.
Pro Tip: Drain the Filter housing before you replace the Filter to avoid Diesel splashing everywhere!

KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Callum229 wrote:Lower pipe on the radiator. Have to leave it to drain though as thermostat hinders coolant flow from the head and it ends up flowing slowly or to flush it completely, remove the lower radiator pipe that connects to the head, the thermostat will come out as well. Put a new thermostat.

Run some injector cleaner? Check EGR for soot buildup incase it needs to be cleaned?
Which lower pipe? This one on the left did not drain anythingImage

Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

I will send you the code for the filter as I just serviced my car yesterday.

The fuel filter you supposed to hold it above and let it drain out for about 15 to 30 mins, then put the new filter and slowly soak it in. If you don't leave a bit of fuel in, it will crank for some time before starting.

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Thats a boost pipe. above the boost pipe you will see the lower radiator pipe, pain in the ass to take out though.

KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Callum229 wrote:I will send you the code for the filter as I just serviced my car yesterday.

The fuel filter you supposed to hold it above and let it drain out for about 15 to 30 mins, then put the new filter and slowly soak it in. If you don't leave a bit of fuel in, it will crank for some time before starting.
Thanks. Will it be ok to start the vehicle with diesel all over and get the right filter?

KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Callum229 wrote:Thats a boost pipe. above the boost pipe you will see the lower radiator pipe, pain in the ass to take out though.
Yip. I see so. Gonna be a looong morning

Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

No, remove and wash out all diesel immediately. Diesel damages the rubber pipes. Please upload a pic of your filter so I can check if it is the same type as mines.

KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Callum229 wrote:No, remove and wash out all diesel immediately. Diesel damages the rubber pipes. Please upload a pic of your filter so I can check if it is the same type as mines.
What can i use to wash? Should i get a degreaser or just water? A bit worried about electrical goods etc

Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Degreaser, water doesn't do much. Yep could also damage wiring, connectors, etc.

KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Callum229 wrote:Degreaser, water doesn't do much. Yep could also damage wiring, connectors, etc.
Disconnected the battery. Sprayed some degreaser and hosed it down . will let it stand for 30 to 45 minutes in the sun to dry off