Abominable_Snowman
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline

Polo 1.9 TDI Coolant Pipes

Post by Abominable_Snowman »

Hi guys

So, the Sportline I've purchased recently came with the heater core pipes disconnected. According to the previous owner, there was a leak and so he had it blocked off (instead of getting it repaired)...

Anyyyways, winter is coming up and the wife uses the car, so I need to get the heater back in working condition. Do any of you possibly have any pics of the pipes that connect to the heater core and their respective connections? I'm trying to source some second hand pipes

Can't seem to find proper images online to give me a visual reference

Sorry, I know it may seem like a big ask and somewhat silly. Any help would be appreciated.

Just for clarity, its a 1.9 TDI ASZ motor. There is no EGR cooler, the pipes that go to the heater core have been removed.

Thanks
Jeremiah Naicker | Durban
05' VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline (Sold)
'06 Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI FR (Sold)
'12 VW Jetta VI 1.2 TSI (Sold)
'15 Ford Figo 1.4 (Sold)
'01 Fiat Palio 1.2 (Sold)
'95 VW Citi Golf 1.3 (Sold)
'91 BMW 318i (Sold)
'89 Opel Kadett SR (Sold)
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: Polo 1.9 TDI Coolant Pipes

Post by Jetta2 »

If the core is in fact leaking, the chances of your wife getting stranded somewhere due to it going pop is high.

Check this thread on how to check/repair: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?th ... es.488025/
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

I second what @Jetta2 said. Better safe then sorry, thankfully it's easy to change over unlike other vehicles which needs a whole interior teardown.

There is two pipes going into the firewall, the heater core has a clamp type pipe fitting that can push in and it clips on, similar to some of the boost pipes and radiator hoses. To those two 90 degree clamp fittings is just normal coolant hoses, just get some from the spares shop and some clamps, you should be fine.

One pipe comes from under the tandem pump, that coolant distribution block and the other I'm not sure, I would have to double check it. I will send some photos soon when I go to the car.

Also a good idea to flush the radiator(reverse flow it with a hosepipe) and run some radiator flush as it is very easy to clog your new heater core with debris and it won't work.

Use only VW G13 coolant as well.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
Abominable_Snowman
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Abominable_Snowman »

Hi guys

Apologies for the late reply, its been quite a busy few days. Thank you so much for the assistance, I'll definitely replace the core as well, like you said, better to be safe than sorry.

I'll stop by one of the spares shops this weekend and tackle everything.

Again guys, thanks so much, I appreciate it
Jeremiah Naicker | Durban
05' VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline (Sold)
'06 Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI FR (Sold)
'12 VW Jetta VI 1.2 TSI (Sold)
'15 Ford Figo 1.4 (Sold)
'01 Fiat Palio 1.2 (Sold)
'95 VW Citi Golf 1.3 (Sold)
'91 BMW 318i (Sold)
'89 Opel Kadett SR (Sold)