1.4 Polo TDI Highline - Losing Power

cr4ffi
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

1.4 Polo TDI Highline - Losing Power

Post by cr4ffi »

Hi guys, been experiencing a small issue on my 1.4 Polo TDI (3cyl)

About 2 months ago. I was between Leeu Gamka and Laingsburg where for about 150kms the car had little to no extra power - I could do 120-130 and keep it there but felt like a lot of extra effort - I would imagine the turbo cut out. Fuel consumption would average at 4-5 l/100k and shot up to 12-16 l/100k when I experienced the loss of power - so clearly something was wrong. No lights on the dash to indicate a problem. (about a month before the coil light came on, stopped the car and restarted it and the flashing coil light was away, did not notice any issues with the drive just that the coil light was flashing briefly. VW told me overboost and I think they reloaded software). After Laingsburg went down De Doorns and into Worcester doing 80km/h so did not notice it all that much. After Worcester on the open road back to CT, car was fine again. I did add one pint of oil to the car in Britstown on my way back as the fuel attendant suggested that oil was low, although nothing too serious, there was more than enough oil tbh - I made sure it was the recommended oil for diesel engines.

About 2 weeks before, I was in De Aar driving around, was super hot and noticed the car had no power, turbo would kick in but lag was noticeable - I don't know much so thought it could be due to the heat or the lack of air - IDK. Next day drove to Prieska with no issues.

Another thing I noticed, I have never heard the turbo spool at all, although my first diesel car, it pulls okay, bit of lag down low but thought its natural. Is it normal for these cars to not hear the turbo spool?

Car is going in to VW soon, any specifics they should check? I believe the car only did city driving for the longest time apart from the trip to De Aar and back again recently. Thus I suspect it could be dirty intake and EGR. Although the part between Leeu Gamka and Laingsburg felt like turbo cut out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Car has around 78k's
2nd owner
bought the car in May of 2020
Waterpump and Cambelt recently replaced