2009 taureg v6 3.0tdi

faade@telkomsa.net
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 1 month

2009 taureg v6 3.0tdi

Post by faade@telkomsa.net »

I am looking at buying a 2009 taureg 3.0v6tdi with no air suspension. 250kkm.Any advice on what I should be looking out for?
How is the maintenance cost on this vehicle.
Are parts readily available?
Which would be better to send the vehicle for... The Dekra test or VW 80 Point check.

T.I.A
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Touareg / Caddy / Polo / Citi
Membership No: missing

Re: 2009 taureg v6 3.0tdi

Post by OettingerTDi »

Unfortunately, you do not state where you are based. If close to Johannesburg (Benoni area), you must get in touch with Stephan van Tonder, he is the Touareg guru and can provide you with loads of information. Check out his Facebook page at Panic's Place Garage for details. For a small fee, he can go and objectively inspect the car, scan it for you with VCDS, take it for a test drive and give an honest opinion.

In answer to some of your other questions:

Maintenance costs - It is all relative to what you see as reasonable, but remember, you are buying an expensive car much cheaper, so maintenance does not follow the same reasoning. Although they are very well built, they have some unique quirks. The better models are the facelifted models, circa 2007 to 2010. This is a car where it would be advisable to have access to an "Oh ****" fund, as there could be surprises along the way. If the car is sound and well maintained, check for a service history, you might still need to factor in an additional few thousand rand (around R5k) to change all fluids, including diffs, transfer case and gearbox, as VW sees these as lifetime sealed units, which in fact they aren't.

Parts availability - Surprising, quite a lot of parts are available, particularly from Goldwagen, both for maintenance and otherwise. For example, in December I changed the front discs and pads, together with rear pads with their respective sensors. Parts sourced from Goldwagen (Hella Pagid) plus labour at Stephan and it came out at just under R7k. If you are hell bent on staying with agents only, you will be losing cash fast and let's not talk about the lack of product knowledge from some dealers.

Dekra or VW 80 point - As noted above, Stephan is the better bet, if possible. If not possible, I would lean toward the VW 80 point, a check was done on mine prior to purchase and it appeared fairly decent.

Other points:

If you can get hold of the car's VIN number, a Volkswagen dealer can get the car's service history for you. They can also pull the original invoice when the car was first sold, it will give an idea of the options fitted to the car.

If the car doesn't have a spare key, this is an agents only option, do not fall for aftermarket options, it could cost you dearly in future. Look at about R6k for this.

Then, do your research properly, read a lot, there is plenty information on the internet and Youtube. Locally, visit the 4x4 Community forum at www.4x4community.co.za, there is a subsection for Touareg's which has lots of information.

In closing, these cars are incredible, both on road and off, I don't regret buying one for a moment.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2004 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1998 Jetta 3 CLX (Taken by a friendly chap called Jack)
1993 Uno Turbo
1988 Ford Laser 1600i Sport
faade@telkomsa.net
Enlisted

Thank you Oettinger...That was very helpful. unfortunately i am in kzn and the vehicle is in Durban. is there perhaps any fundis in the durban are that can do a thorough check.
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant

Post by OettingerTDi »

No worries, glad I could give some pointers.

I was hoping that you might have a VAGSpec Centre in your area, but it seems the they are only based in the Gauteng and Western Cape. Hopefully someone on the forum can suggest a suitable person.

I will check on our Touareg Technical Whatsapp group if there are any suggestions in your area.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1993 Uno Turbo
faade@telkomsa.net
Enlisted

Thanks. really appreciate the assistance.
faade@telkomsa.net
Enlisted

just some info for anyone else reading... alpine vw says the 80point check costs 2280 and is a bumper to bumper check including engine,gearbox , diagnostics etc...
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant

Post by OettingerTDi »

Jor, that is a pretty sum, probably since they charge for the time to do this.

I was probably lucky as mine was purchased from Audi Centurion, they do this automatically for all their pre-owned cars. I am not sure what the Dekra inspections cost these days, but perhaps get a quote to compare. I am also not sure what they cover in their inspection though, but if I recall, they have different options available, depending how deep they dig. Under the circumstances, and considering what VW Alpine said they would cover during the inspection, I would consider it. Rather spend that money for piece of mind, rather than ending up with a car that could potentially cost you.

I have asked our Whatsapp group whether there are any fundi's in your area and I have not heard anything yet. Will let you know.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1993 Uno Turbo
faade@telkomsa.net
Enlisted

i was also thinking that going with the vw option would be better hoping that they would have a bit more insight into the particular vehicle. Will wait for you on any infor from the whatsapp group. thanks again. much appreciated.
mk2-phreak
Captain
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by mk2-phreak »

faade@telkomsa.net wrote:just some info for anyone else reading... alpine vw says the 80point check costs 2280 and is a bumper to bumper check including engine,gearbox , diagnostics etc...
I don't trust dealer checks. They usually aren't worth the paper they're printed on. All they care about is making the sale.
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant

Post by OettingerTDi »

mk2-phreak wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:00 pm
faade@telkomsa.net wrote:just some info for anyone else reading... alpine vw says the 80point check costs 2280 and is a bumper to bumper check including engine,gearbox , diagnostics etc...
I don't trust dealer checks. They usually aren't worth the paper they're printed on. All they care about is making the sale.
Respectfully, I disagree. I have a copy of the check done on my Touareg by Autohaus Centurion. Every single issue we (myself and Panic Mechanic) picked up during our pre-delivery check was already picked up by the workshop inspection. They actually picked up more items than we did. This particular inspection was similar to what would be done for a Mastercar approved vehicle.

I think the OP is looking at a car not being bought from a VW dealer, so it follows that VW will probably have nothing to lose by giving a proper assessment.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1993 Uno Turbo
Tashveer
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Cti
Membership No: 2095

Post by Tashveer »

I'm not sure if the vehicle you considering buying is from Mikhail Naidoo - if that is the Touarag in question then I'm almost certain it would be in real good nick. Kyle (Mikhail) is a forum/club member and has owned and sold plenty cars in recent years so he is a stand up and trustworthy guy.

The other option may be to get Rob at Dubcorp (Westville) to assist you with having a look at the vehicle - if it is from a different seller as I think Rob has assisted with maintenance on Kyle's 1.
1993 CTi ABF
2004 Citi Life 1.6i
faade@telkomsa.net
Enlisted

hi. it is mikhails vehicle. thanks for the info.
Mitch
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 6 months
Car Model: Polo 1.0 R-Line
Membership No: 1840

Post by Mitch »

I can also vouch for the owner. He was a Committee member here too. All his cars are well maintained and looked after.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Current:
2019 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.0TSI (Reef Blue Metallic)

Past:
2019 Toyota Rav-4 GX-R AWD (Graphite Grey Metallic)
2019 VW Polo 1.0 R-Line (Reef Blue Metallic)
2012 VW MKVI GTI (Candy White)
2011 VW Polo 6R Comfortline (Black Magic Pearl)
2008 Opel Corsa Lite+ (Silver)
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Awesome Thread and detailed usable info @OettingerTDi.
@ faade@telkomsa.net- Stefan (Panic Mechanic) will assist you and even the guys on www.4x4community.co.za will assist plus there would be guys from KZN.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
faade@telkomsa.net
Enlisted

hi guys. unfortunately i couldnt get to view and missed the sale. let me know if anyone has a similar vehicle for sale. no air suspension. Thanks again for all the info and assistance.
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant

Post by OettingerTDi »

Eish, pity you lost this one, seemed like a good example.

For future reference, are you looking at this model specifically (T1 facelift 2007 to 2010) or, budget allowing, are you open to the later T2 model, being from 2011 onwards?

You could also consider contacting Stephan per my response above, he regularly rescues Touareg's and per occasion has one available for sale. He will also be able to keep an eye open for any Touareg's that fall within your requirements.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1993 Uno Turbo
faade@telkomsa.net
Enlisted

i would prefer a later model. the budget is probably around 120-130k..
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant

Post by OettingerTDi »

Not to be a party pooper, but a later model (T2 late 2010+) would probably be out of reach for now. You would need to adjust your budget to the R200k+ mark, and even then, you would need to look carefully, as there are some bad examples in the marketplace. Heaven knows what people do with their cars...

Your budget will however find you a T1 facelift.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1993 Uno Turbo
faade@telkomsa.net
Enlisted

living in hope :-)
facelift it will have to be but preferably 2009/10