Vw tdi 1.9 power steering please hrlp

Dragyn
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 5 months

Vw tdi 1.9 power steering please hrlp

Post by Dragyn »

My steering wheel light came on, on the dashboard
I checked the fluid it's full. Now every now and again the light comes on. I stop and switch of engine and start again. Sometimes it's ok for 2 days then it comes on sometimes it's ok for 4 days. There is no regular intervals. As a lady driving I am in quite a distress
Please give me advice
I can not take my car to the garage as I used all my spare money for my Son's cancer treatment and then his funeral
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: Vw tdi 1.9 power steering please hrlp

Post by Callum229 »

Hi
When the light comes on, do you get any loss of power, or the steering becomes hard to use, etc?

There are no leaks? Fluid looks clean with no debris inside?

The pump is electrical and moves fluid in order to make the steering assistance function.

If everything is normal and the light just comes on and off, just ignore it until you can get it looked at as it just sounds like a faulty sensor.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

You do not mention what car it is...

If Polo 9N then as Callum said. Does just the light come on or does the power assistance disappear? It uses an elictric pump to pump the fluid around the system. My Polo did this and it was the wire between the pump and the steering angle sensor.

If Golf/ Jetta mk V the it uses servotronic assistance, fully electric with no fluid and you will probabaly have to replace the motor.
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

Her first post under "introduce yourself" says that she has a 2004 Polo 9N 1.9 TDI.

Hopefully it isn't serious or causing a driving issue, but if it was, she would have said so.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

Callum229 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:54 pm Her first post under "introduce yourself" says that she has a 2004 Polo 9N 1.9 TDI.

Hopefully it isn't serious or causing a driving issue, but if it was, she would have said so.
Ahh ok...

Then it is probably something simple like the sensor I mentioned or earth strap or hairline crack on a fuse.
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite