1.6 TDI Oil pressure light

Shaindren
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

1.6 TDI Oil pressure light

Post by Shaindren »

Hello all.

Need some help on the below.

Oil light came on while driving home. Changed the oil pressure sensor behind head ( Some oil sweat found around turbo ). Light came on again.

Traced the wiring to ECU for continuity - working perfectly.

Changed the oil pump, found some gritty crap on pick up. cleaned that, put everything back together. Light still on.

Opened oil filter housing, nothing broken, all in place. Oil cooler also clean, not blocked. light still on

Any advice on what else could be causing this ussie?

Car idles well. No loss in power. No code on VCDS

No metal filings were found in sump. CAYC engine. :hi: :type: :crazy:
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: 1.6 TDI Oil pressure light

Post by Ashveer03 »

https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/mac ... re-tester/

R500 bucks will point u in the correct direction.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

After testing oil pressure, please do an engine oil flush with an additive(Liquimoly works well), new oil and oil filter change before putting oil pressure sensor back on and clean the oil sensor before install.

Sounds like debris is causing blockages somewhere and could cause catastrophic damage if not taken care of in time. First test the oil pressure though, maybe hire a gauge to test or go to a shop for them to check for you.

I would still flush even if the test shows that the engine has good oil pressure.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
Shaindren
Enlisted

Post by Shaindren »

Hello gents

car came back with 0.6 bar pressure on idle, and 2.0 bar pressure at 2000rpm. ( oil pressure )

people at workshop think the ECU is not communicating properly with cluster.

One part picked up on VCDS was low voltage on battery, when car went to bosch, battery died.

its only soon after this that the light started giving me crap.

Could the software in some way be corrupt? EEPROM gone bad? car has Wulfchip software on it currently.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Have you tried another battery? I had funny issues on my .:R32 due to a failing battery (that would appear to be fine otherwise)
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

Highly doubt it but could be possible. EEPROM can only be cleared by command which applies voltage to it, and it clears all the memory, not just a small sector which is the oil pressure(and if it did, it won't read lower, it would just not read anything at all), it is just a read only chip when the car is running normally and the data on it cannot be removed or rewritten unless there is voltage applied to that one pin that enables the clearing of the chip.

I have noticed with my father in law's Polo 9N, when the battery was dying, it triggered everything from knock sensor, to airbag faulty and more. With VCDS, I cleared all the faults when the battery was replaced, and no issues thereafter.

Have you made sure that the new pressure sensor is within specifications for the car, as they can all look the same but have a different range of measurement for oil pressure.

I find it strange that there is no DTC for low oil pressure. Maybe it will take a bit of time before it picks it up. Could be cluster that is faulty.

Try and clear all DTCs first(for all modules) and then check, if it is still doing that.

Is the old sensor and new sensor giving the same/similar readout? If so, then it can't be the sensor, as it is very unlikely that two sensors would be faulty. If it isn't then maybe try the old oil pressure once more and then check if the oil sensor is reading correctly, it could just be the wrong sensor.

Continuity in the wires is one thing, the wires could also be more resistive due to damage and more resistance, thus giving a lower reading.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
Shaindren
Enlisted

Post by Shaindren »

Hello

So both sensors were identical. Same part number and range.

Any idea where I can see actual pressure of oil in VCDS? I Can't find it anywhere.

I'm thinking maybe I should buy another sensor incase the new one is damaged
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Search for oil pressure in advanced measuring blocks

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

If the ecu senses an open circuit, That is, no signal from the sensor, it sets off the oil pressure light around 2500rpm

ES1987
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years

Post by ES1987 »

This sounds all too familiar.

Mine did the same on my 1.6 TDI and with a bit of fault-finding (because I could also not find any visible leaks) I finally saw that the plastic housing for the thermostat was completely brittle and the water was leaking through the perished walls and gasket. I changed every single plastic housing on the engine block (there are 2 major ones) and that seemed to fix the issue.

It started as a small leak, only requiring me to fill it up every two weeks or so and then suddenly it would drop, from filled up, to below the water line within a few kilometers drive.

I think the heat and the plastic aren't good bedfellows and I don't understand why VW didn't just make stainless steel or cast aluminium housings...
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Howie-WP wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:09 am Have you tried another battery? I had funny issues on my .:R32 due to a failing battery (that would appear to be fine otherwise)
Or faulty earthing?
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Neuk wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:33 am Or faulty earthing?
Not in Wookie's case, battery defo. Original as fitted in factory in Germany in 2008. 12 years not too bad, though ......
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Howie-WP wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:06 pm
Neuk wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:33 am Or faulty earthing?
Not in Wookie's case, battery defo. Original as fitted in factory in Germany in 2008. 12 years not too bad, though ......
That's a very decent life span for a battery :cool:
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
GEE 4 GTI
Enlisted
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by GEE 4 GTI »

Well, it could be something completely different.
Maybe the filling amount was OK but something is blocked like an oil channel, a filter, something else. The red flashing light isn't red or flashing without a reason.

Based on the information you provide it's not possible to say. I would bring it into a garage and take no risks with this.