2.0 TDI oil/water mix

Chase73
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 5 months

2.0 TDI oil/water mix

Post by Chase73 »

Hi Guys. i have a 2.0 TDI Tauran with the BKD engine. I found that the oil and water is mixing, but:

1. There is oil in the water, but no water in the oil. The water bottle is full of white mix, but the oil in the motor is normal black
2. The car is driving just fine, no loss in power.
3. I have removed the oil cooler to have it tested ( can i remove the water hoses from it and just connect them together like on the petrol motors?

any advise/help will be appreciated.

ps; can I flush the motor with Prepsol?
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: 2.0 TDI oil/water mix

Post by Jetta2 »

Heat exchanger is FUBAR.
Have a compression check done as well to rule out a head gasket issue.

I am sure the coolant hoses can be temporarily coonected together with no hassles.

Prepsol can work. Heard of people flushing cooling systems with it. Just don't run the motor while flushing. Prepsol does not handle any heat and will form a crystalline sludge that will most likely be more more of a pain to get rid of.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Liqui moly radiator cleaner works well. About R100 a can from goldwagen. Be prepared for quite abit of flushing

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

Sounds like the heat exchanger, compression test won't do much as it's oil and water mixing, not combustion gases leaking, so compression will be normal.

Do you have the DSG trans? As the trans has an oil cooler attached to it and it could be leaking. It could be also, that the oil and water is mixing through the head gasket.

Is there a drop in oil level in the engine?

I had to flush about 8 times to get the gunk out on my car, so suggest just run a hosepipe through the engine top hose, open where the thermostat is and let it flow until it is clear, then put radiator flush. I've tried liquimoly it worked great, but a cheaper alternative that also worked great was shield radiator flush.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
Shaindren
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Shaindren »

Oil filter housing in front of engine.

GEnerally gives problem around 180>

Did this on a friends car. fixed the issue up.

You may also notice coolant levels dropping slightly.

R1200 from GW
spokie
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Post by spokie »

Morning!
VW 2L TDi Amarok: Sort of same question here. Though I replaced the air cooler and oil cooler unit. Still loosing coolant, though I cannot find a leak or see where it is going. I’m loosing like a liter on a 100km. This is an extremely alarming amount of coolant going somewhere.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

spokie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:48 am Morning!
VW 2L TDi Amarok: Sort of same question here. Though I replaced the air cooler and oil cooler unit. Still loosing coolant, though I cannot find a leak or see where it is going. I’m loosing like a liter on a 100km. This is an extremely alarming amount of coolant going somewhere.
If you have no oil / water mixing and only loss of coolant, then my money is on the EGR leaking. Quite common on the Amarok platform
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
spokie
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Post by spokie »

I drained the oil from the sump today… bad-bad! Got some water coming out, 100ml. The other 900ml, or somewhat to that amount, did not drain out. The engine has never overheated that I know of… so how can the water get into the oil?