POLO R6 TDI, 1.6 2014- Cambelt snaps and breaks rockers and followers

1ndile
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

POLO R6 TDI, 1.6 2014- Cambelt snaps and breaks rockers and followers

Post by 1ndile »

Hi There,

Was involved in an accident in my POLO TDI,replaced 90% of the damaged parts sans the aircon pump which was slightly bent. The car was fixed and drove well for the first few days and then suddenly the cambelt snapped and the car could not crank at all, upon having a mechanic check it out it was discovered that the valves had bent and the rockers and followers also damaged- could it be the aircon pump that is the root cause of all of this?
PeterTech
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.6 TDI

Re: POLO R6 TDI, 1.6 2014- Cambelt snaps and breaks rockers and followers

Post by PeterTech »

Well, ever since i become a driver more than 15 years ago, i have never heard of an aircon pump causing a timing belt to break. How many kilos does your car have and when last did was the timing belt changed. It could simply be that the belt was somehow damaged by the accident or it was worn out by not being changed at the recommended time.

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

1ndile
Enlisted

Post by 1ndile »

Hi Peter,

Duly noted- Could it be the tensioner then? Sorry I am clutching at straws here, obviously while I am waiting on the mechanic to confirm something? Th cambelt is an old yes. But generally what cause the rockers and followers to break?

Kind Regards
1ndile
Enlisted

Post by 1ndile »

Hi Peter,

Duly noted- Could it be the tensioner then? Sorry I am clutching at straws here, obviously while I am waiting on the mechanic to confirm something? Th cambelt is an old yes. But generally what cause the rockers and followers to break?

Kind Regards
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

If you are asking in general what causes the bent valves when the cambelt breaks, the answer lies in interference engines - from Wikipedia, "An interference engine is a type of 4-stroke internal combustion piston engine in which one or more valves in the fully open position extends into any area through which the piston may travel.". So in short, if the belt breaks, the valves are not out of the way when the piston comes back, and the piston hits the valves and bends them.
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

As far as I know , your aircon pump runs on the fan/serpentine belt, separate belt from cambelt but shared from one pulley , if the aircon pump had to bind, it could put stress on the cambelt causing it to break.

Can be either or , If the belt brake , Piston and valve will meet and in turn valve hit rocker or valve drop will , piston hits back , and cam tries to turn over but crank stuck causing the belt to break.

Actually it can be allot of things, we'll only be able to make assumptions via the forum.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned