1.9 TDI 2005 Camshaft Position Sensor out of RANGE!!!

Jakkels85
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk1 2 door 16v turbo

1.9 TDI 2005 Camshaft Position Sensor out of RANGE!!!

Post by Jakkels85 »

Morning Guy's

So i replaced the cam-belt about 4 weeks ago, I notice when i started it in the morning the idling wasting smooth as it went up and down when it was cold and when it was hot it was normal. I decided this weekend i am going to redo the timing, after stripping i saw i was a tooth off TDC but now here is where the tricky part comes in. I locked the cam pulley and took off the belt moved the timing to TDC on the crack as the cam was already locked, I dubbel checked all the marks everything is lining up 100% turned the engine thru, Okay i am happy now tried starting the engine nothing just swings :bang: now i am confused where did i do what wrong, engine lights comes on i immediately plug in the Laptop using VCDS-lite just to see what error codes its giving me Camshaft Position sensor out of range( had this issue about 4 years ago when i took the car to guy's and he got it fixed, bought a new cam shaft sensor from VW as everyone tuned me GW parts is the problem and the crank sensor was changed as well).

I then removed the belt again and took it one tooth back still the same :crazy: Took the belt of again and 2 teeth back still the same :fear: NOW i stared phoning some friends that works with VW and qualified as VW mac he said it can't be right!!!!!

After i took a lunch break i decide to take it back 3 teeth BTDC and see if its going to start up or not........ :hurray: its starts 100% no issues WHY?????
can you guy's please assist,

note i did not take any photo's as i was to cross and confused.

Started the car the morning At 5 am no issues drove to work smooth as a butterfly.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: 1.9 TDI 2005 Camshaft Position Sensor out of RANGE!!!

Post by missioner »

Your timing was wrong when you changed the belt.

That's the only reason that makes sense reading your story.

Did you use a lock pin to hold the camshaft when you removed the belt? If you did not the camshaft jumps as you remove the belt and throws the timing out. Also the three bolts that hold the sprocket must be loosened before installing the belt.

Once this happens your idling will be rough and the car will battle to start, as well as poor performance when driving.

The above is true only if you are lucky enough NOT to bend the valves when you try to start the car the first time.

There are dozens of videos and tutorials on the internet on how to correctly time a PD motor.

I suggest you do the research and then redo the cambelt for the sake of safety.

If you are not certain of TDC, remove the no.1 glow plug and test it with a welding rod
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+