PeterTech
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.6 TDI

TDI services parts from VW

Post by PeterTech »

Hi guys.

It was time for a service and i decide to buy parts for my 1.6 tdi at a VW dealership since there was only a R300 difference between the dealership and Goldwagen. All is good except for the type of oil they gave me.
I thought they would give me VW spec 507.00, 5W-30 oil but they gave me Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W-40, VW spec 505.01.
The sales person at the parts department told me that they use this oil on all their vehicles and it even says so on their posters in the parts department. Now my problem is will this oil not clog up my DPF? I mean even the Castrol website recommends the 5W-30, VW spec 507.00. Am I missing something here.?ImageImage

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: TDI services parts from VW

Post by Jetta2 »

Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

I think it is simple... if your manual says use 507.00 and the bottle says 505.01 then dont take a chance...
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
smoke.machine
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Polo Tdi

Post by smoke.machine »

Do you have a hatch back or sedan? For my sedan 505.01 is recommended as the car doesn't have a dpf...
Current: 9n3 1.9 TDI Pd100...cupra lip..Pgti rear apron
PeterTech
Enlisted

Post by PeterTech »

smoke.machine wrote:Do you have a hatch back or sedan? For my sedan 505.01 is recommended as the car doesn't have a dpf...
I have a the sedan Polo 1.6 tdi.

PeterTech
Enlisted

Post by PeterTech »

VGTI wrote:I think it is simple... if your manual says use 507.00 and the bottle says 505.01 then dont take a chance...
But it is a VW dealership that gave me the wrong spec oil and they insisted that they use it on all their diesel vehicles. What do i do now guys?

Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Return it and buy else where

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
jaunrothner
Cadet
Car Model: 2016 Polo GTi DSG (6C

Post by jaunrothner »

Out of curiosity...Is it worth it to buy the spares required for a service directly from VW?

What's the difference between a service kit from the agents vs a service kit from Goldwagen?
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

5W 30 is what the VW dealership offers me for my 1.6TDI and yes it should only 507 spec
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

PeterTech wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:18 am But it is a VW dealership that gave me the wrong spec oil and they insisted that they use it on all their diesel vehicles. What do i do now guys?

You're assuming parts dept guy knows what he is talking about....when he just wants to make the sale and in all likeliness does not know the difference.
Check with service manager / check previous invoice for part # and order at parts and see what they issue you. If different to spec, ask why and get in writing why they are using different to manual.
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Howie-WP wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:30 pm
PeterTech wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:18 am But it is a VW dealership that gave me the wrong spec oil and they insisted that they use it on all their diesel vehicles. What do i do now guys?

You're assuming parts dept guy knows what he is talking about....when he just wants to make the sale and in all likeliness does not know the difference.
Check with service manager / check previous invoice for part # and order at parts and see what they issue you. If different to spec, ask why and get in writing why they are using different to manual.
will never happen. i worked for the dealers 10 years ago when PD diesels were still new and most of the time Castrol had big jojo tank things at the dealers, and most if not all cars got the same oil pumped into them, and only 1 or 2 different types of 5L bottles were sold over the counter, usually same spec as that in the pumps. Not at all surprised that it hasn't changed.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
PeterTech
Enlisted

Post by PeterTech »

MarshallGTi wrote:
Howie-WP wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:30 pm

will never happen. i worked for the dealers 10 years ago when PD diesels were still new and most of the time Castrol had big jojo tank things at the dealers, and most if not all cars got the same oil pumped into them, and only 1 or 2 different types of 5L bottles were sold over the counter, usually same spec as that in the pumps. Not at all surprised that it hasn't changed.
Now this means that various VW dealerships are engaged in non compliance to VW standards and this leaves you wondering what other things do they put in people's vehicles that don't meet specifications. I mean what stops them from buying parts from Midas to use in people's cars?