Volksie
Enlisted
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: KIA
Car Model: Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4

Golf VI 1.6 Tdi

Post by Volksie »

Hi fellow Dubbers

I am looking at buying, or at least contemplating, a 2011 Golf VI 1.6 Tdi.

Now, how good is the 1.6 tdi engine as I dont know anything about it, and whether its got specific issues to look out for. I know the 1.9 tdi is basically unbreakable and a legend that can give a LOT of mileage but unsure about the 1.6

Any advice will be appreciated ! :driving:
¿ ǝɯ oʇ buıuǝddɐɥ sı ןןǝɥ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Golf VI 1.6 Tdi

Post by panic-mechanic »

they seem pretty decent
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Gbvl
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Gbvl »

I had a 2013 jetta vi 1.6 tdi and put 155k km on it without any issues. Just normal services.
Volksie
Enlisted

Post by Volksie »

So no major issues with these engines or known problems? Its a manual so at least no DSG nonsense.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

No change the cambelt at 90k intervals and you are good. There has been the odd report of injector issues but there is not a diesel engine on earth that does not have the odd report of injector issues.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Volksie
Enlisted

Post by Volksie »

Thanks Panic. Just that I lend my ears out to people who says the 1.6 tdi was a lemon and prone to many problems, however they dont say what problems.

I have had many diesel vehicles (no VW's though) and I know injectors are a given also turbo's going out eventually.

Looking for something very fuel efficient but I dont want a small econobox (what I call a "shitbox") either.
PoloB
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: POLO 6S

Post by PoloB »

Volksie wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:03 pm Hi fellow Dubbers

I am looking at buying, or at least contemplating, a 2011 Golf VI 1.6 Tdi.

Now, how good is the 1.6 tdi engine as I dont know anything about it, and whether its got specific issues to look out for. I know the 1.9 tdi is basically unbreakable and a legend that can give a LOT of mileage but unsure about the 1.6

Any advice will be appreciated ! :driving:
I know of someone who might be selling their 1.9 tdi golf 4 engine if you are interested? Car was in a accident but motor is 100%
Vw Polo 6 Sedan
Quantum Tunning Software
Eibach Springs
Smoked Tail lights
17 Inch A-Line Spree wheels
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Volksie wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:18 am Thanks Panic. Just that I lend my ears out to people who says the 1.6 tdi was a lemon and prone to many problems, however they dont say what problems.

I have had many diesel vehicles (no VW's though) and I know injectors are a given also turbo's going out eventually.

Looking for something very fuel efficient but I dont want a small econobox (what I call a "shitbox") either.
We service a fair amount of them some on higher than 200k kms and I really can't say we have seen major issues on any. I know there has been a few threads on here but almost all of them related to injector issues. No major failures etc.
so from a mechanical point of view they seem fairly robust. Anybody calling that engine a lemon probably must deal with something very different to the sample we have seen.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

smoke.machine
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Polo Tdi

Post by smoke.machine »

I know of a 1.6tdi with 345k on clock fsh with vw and car goes like new....no issues....apart from.faulty auxiliary coolant pump...
Current: 9n3 1.9 TDI Pd100...cupra lip..Pgti rear apron
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

smoke.machine wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:43 pm I know of a 1.6tdi with 345k on clock fsh with vw and car goes like new....no issues....apart from.faulty auxiliary coolant pump...
Impressive kilos, wow.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
smoke.machine
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Polo Tdi

Post by smoke.machine »

Yip...its my daily😎
Current: 9n3 1.9 TDI Pd100...cupra lip..Pgti rear apron
ES1987
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by ES1987 »

I've got a Polo 1.6 TDI and I've not had issues with it - gear selector cable snapped but that can happen to any car.
Engine is sound with a lot of torque. I am not a big diesel engine fan, but I must say there is little not to love about the engine.