Stefan0909
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan 2.0TDI

Clutch Problems

Post by Stefan0909 »

Hi guys, I need some advise.

When travelling back from Alberton today I have noticed my clutch pedal doesn't return.

All of a sudden I can't get gears.

I called a friend and he advise that it is the dual mass that is busy acting up.

Well I haven't even paid the first installment on the car as yet, bought it about 3 weeks ago as a pre owned car.

Any help and advice will be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock
1.8i VTEC Honda FRV Stock
Citroen DS3 Techno Pack Stock
Peugeot 208 1.6 Allure Stock DECAT

Current Ride:
VW Tiguan 2.0TDI Stage 1 + DPF, DECAT and EGR done
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: Clutch Problems

Post by Jetta2 »

Same happened to my Caddy......
DMF or clutch itself.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

Jetta2 wrote:Same happened to my Caddy......
DMF or clutch itself.
Eish, and you fitted an OEM unit?

Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride:
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Yes, got stuck in Durbs on the 24th Feb and VW uMhlanga fitted a new clutch kit, DMF, etc.

My advice, organise with Panic to fix it. VW will charge you 30K+ for the job.
I would have used Panic myself, but there is still a VW waranty in place on my Caddy.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

Jetta2 wrote:Yes, got stuck in Durbs on the 24th Feb and VW uMhlanga fitted a new clutch kit, DMF, etc.

My advice, organise with Panic to fix it. VW will charge you 30K+ for the job.
I would have used Panic myself, but there is still a VW waranty in place on my Caddy.
Are they repairable?

Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride:
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Post by Supervan II »

Stefan0909 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:40 pm Well I haven't even paid the first installment on the car as yet, bought it about 3 weeks ago as a pre owned car.
Take it back.
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

Supervan II wrote:
Stefan0909 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:40 pm Well I haven't even paid the first installment on the car as yet, bought it about 3 weeks ago as a pre owned car.
Take it back.
Spoke to the owner of the dealership and I need to take it in tomorrow and they will check what they can do. Luckily I took out an extended warranty

Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride:
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Stefan0909 wrote:
Supervan II wrote:
Take it back.
Spoke to the owner of the dealership and I need to take it in tomorrow and they will check what they can do. Luckily I took out an extended warranty

Don't let the warranty pay. It's still within the first 30 days of ownership. The liability falls into the dealership.

If the vehicle has the factory warranty still active it will cover the repairs, this is because they cannot make a case for poor driver technique as you only recently purchased the vehicle.

I hope the extended warranty you took out was not an aftermarket one, they only pay the amount determined by them to be the average cost of a job for all types (and ages) of cars. Many of these schemes don't recognise the flywheel as a wear and tear item and will only cover skimming as part of the clutch job. Then because most cars are little economy crap boxes, the average clutch job on most cars costs R4500 all in, that's as much as what the insurance will pay.

OEM DMF, clutch kit, throw out bearing assembly and labour will easy reach R20k, insurance pays R4500.

If the service advisor for your car can box clever when submitting the quote he/she might get more of the bill covered, but its up to you to motivate them from the beginning and make them care about your cause. Sometimes this works and it can save a tonne of money from leaving your pocket. Sadly any shortfall is still up to the owner to pay.

At my work we deal with insurance everyday, they will screw us to the last cent if they can, take my word for it.

Sorry for my rant on your thread, I'm obviously anti insurance companies, as it doesn't make sense to me to pay money to someone to screw me and I don't have a good time while it's happening.

I'm getting of the soapbox now.

Kbye.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

missioner wrote:
Stefan0909 wrote:
Supervan II wrote:
Take it back.

Don't let the warranty pay. It's still within the first 30 days of ownership. The liability falls into the dealership.

If the vehicle has the factory warranty still active it will cover the repairs, this is because they cannot make a case for poor driver technique as you only recently purchased the vehicle.

I hope the extended warranty you took out was not an aftermarket one, they only pay the amount determined by them to be the average cost of a job for all types (and ages) of cars. Many of these schemes don't recognise the flywheel as a wear and tear item and will only cover skimming as part of the clutch job. Then because most cars are little economy crap boxes, the average clutch job on most cars costs R4500 all in, that's as much as what the insurance will pay.

OEM DMF, clutch kit, throw out bearing assembly and labour will easy reach R20k, insurance pays R4500.

If the service advisor for your car can box clever when submitting the quote he/she might get more of the bill covered, but its up to you to motivate them from the beginning and make them care about your cause. Sometimes this works and it can save a tonne of money from leaving your pocket. Sadly any shortfall is still up to the owner to pay.

At my work we deal with insurance everyday, they will screw us to the last cent if they can, take my word for it.

Sorry for my rant on your thread, I'm obviously anti insurance companies, as it doesn't make sense to me to pay money to someone to screw me and I don't have a good time while it's happening.

Kbye.
Car is a 2012 Tiguan with 146000km on it.

The dealer is not a VW dealer. But the guy knows me as well.

I will push for as much as possible that they pay, and repair it.

The warranty I tool is with AVS and they covet up to R8100 of the cost.

Luckily my brother in law has his own gearbox company and as I know he will try and assist me as much as possible.

Thanx for the info

Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride:
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Stefan0909 wrote:
missioner wrote:
Stefan0909 wrote:
Supervan II wrote: Take it back.

Kbye.

Luckily my brother in law has his own gearbox company and as I know he will try and assist me as much as possible.

Thanx for the info

Cool.

Look likes you are covered every which way.Image
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

missioner wrote:
Stefan0909 wrote:
missioner wrote:
Stefan0909 wrote:Spoke to the owner of the dealership and I need to take it in tomorrow and they will check what they can do. Luckily I took out an extended warranty

Kbye.

Thanx for the info

Cool.

Look likes you are covered every which way.Image
I hope so, I wanted to do dpf delete egr and sw end of the month, and now this **** and gf got retrenched she is finishing end of March so there goes my spending money. Pissed off much.

If she can get a job asap then I can still mod away.

Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride:
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

Ok so car was taken in and all the gears are slipping like a shaved you know what with baby oil...

Dealer said the will pay for the repairs, hope they don't just gooi in backyard stuff and say there you go it is fixed.

Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride:
Camo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 1 month
Car Model: White-G5 GTi

Post by Camo »

clutch on that car is gonne.
Paddle will not come up if clutch gonna,..would need to drop box and fit new clutch and pressure plate.

While you doing that I would advise doing upgraded slave cylinder in the box which should come with the clutch kit,...also replace master slave cylinder behind the clutch paddle while you at it.

DMF shuld be fine,..you will know when DMF is gone it will make very stressing noise
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

Camo wrote:clutch on that car is gonne.
Paddle will not come up if clutch gonna,..would need to drop box and fit new clutch and pressure plate.

While you doing that I would advise doing upgraded slave cylinder in the box which should come with the clutch kit,...also replace master slave cylinder behind the clutch paddle while you at it.

DMF shuld be fine,..you will know when DMF is gone it will make very stressing noise
Well it aint on my expense, and doubt if the dealer would pay for all of that.

Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride:
Camo
Lieutenant

Post by Camo »

As mentioned previously by other member! It is within the 30 days so dealer needs to (WE HOPE) take responsibility.

The above refer to replacing the complete clutch kit (which should include slave/release bearing).

I would just for piece of mind change the master slave cylinder behind paddle as well (about R1200 for that part at Gold Wagon). It sit behind the paddle and if faulty it will affect the paddle not coming up, also when faulty it will effect the clutch hydrolics.

Change that part to if you can...to me it sound like clutch has gone which is normal failure on a car.
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

Camo wrote:As mentioned previously by other member! It is within the 30 days so dealer needs to (WE HOPE) take responsibility.

The above refer to replacing the complete clutch kit (which should include slave/release bearing).

I would just for piece of mind change the master slave cylinder behind paddle as well (about R1200 for that part at Gold Wagon). It sit behind the paddle and if faulty it will affect the paddle not coming up, also when faulty it will effect the clutch hydrolics.

Change that part to if you can...to me it sound like clutch has gone which is normal failure on a car.
Well let them replace what needs to be replaced, I can always arrange with my brother in law then we replace the cylinder ourself.

Thanx for the heads up

Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride:
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

Ok, so just got off the phone with the dealer and the garage, the clutch is dead. They just sorting out their warranty side of things and then hopefully they will fix my car.

Got a quote from VW Lindsay Saker and the parts is R22285 before discount, with discount it is R18945.
Contacted Goldwagen and they quoted R11483, but then the guy asked me if the car has start/stop and I said yes, and then the price went up to R16200..
Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Start stop has a wider ring gear to take the constant use of the starter.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

panic-mechanic wrote:Start stop has a wider ring gear to take the constant use of the starter.
O ok. Thanx, now I have learned something new todayImage

Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride:
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

Brand new VW clutch OEM parts fitted including the concentric slave cylinder, dmf the works... Gelukkig soos n vark in kak, kos my niks geld nie

Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride:
Camo
Lieutenant

Post by Camo »

lekke lekke,...gelukkige bliksem,...glad you sorted
Stefan0909
Cadet

Post by Stefan0909 »

Camo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:43 pm lekke lekke,...gelukkige bliksem,...glad you sorted
Thanx Camo :)
Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock

Current Ride: