PeterTech
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.6 TDI

PUMA & GLOBAL filling stations

Post by PeterTech »

Hi guys.

I need to know about the quality of the diesel being sold at the PUMA and GLOBAL filling stations franchise. I see these filling stations popping up all over Mpumalanga and the one PUMA near me is selling their 50pp diesel for R1,25c less than a lot of mainstream filling stations like Sasol, total BP and Engen etc.

Is their diesel any good, will it not stuff up my injectors and the diesel pump.
mueneni12
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: MK6 GTI
Membership No: missing

Re: PUMA & GLOBAL filling stations

Post by mueneni12 »

Diesel quality should be the same anywhere in SA, the refineries are the same with the exception of Sasol who supplies their stations directly.

Puma is a reputable brand, it is essentially BP brandname used on the continent outside SA.
Tommy
Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
Occasional: 2014 Audi A8 V8 aka The Boat
Ego-stroker: 2007 Touareg V10
Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
Truck: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC aka The Beast
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Diesel is supplied to them by sasol. So if their installation is clean then no risk.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

PeterTech wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 pm Is their diesel any good, will it not stuff up my injectors and the diesel pump.
My brother uses them for his CrossPolo, as their diesel prices are way better than the others. No issues. :driving:
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by VAG Fan »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:43 am Diesel is supplied to them by sasol. So if their installation is clean then no risk.
I wonder whether this feedstock from Sasol is "unadditised" (refinery) or "forecourt" diesel?

I read the informative article that was linked here recently:
https://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-o ... -study.php
One thing that nags me is the issue of dilution with illuminating paraffin. I can see how that would appeal to franchises of "cheaper" brands... For example, here in Pretoria, MBT has several stations that sell about 70c to R1 cheaper than the "mainstream". Apparently the franchisee decides on his supplier.
I wonder whether stations have (or are required to have) some form of test certificate on their premises.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
PeterTech
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Model: Polo 1.6 TDI

Post by PeterTech »

So PUMA should be fine then. But my other concern is mainstream filling stations like Caltex and Total say their diesel have additives that help clean the injectors. Is this the case with PUMA,MBT or Global.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

mueneni12 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:42 pmDiesel quality should be the same anywhere in SA, the refineries are the same with the exception of Sasol who supplies their stations directly.
Not entirely, petrol and diesel have to conform to set base specifications no matter who produces them. Sasol is only unique in that part of their fuel production is from coal which enables them to produce lower sulphur content diesel. Generally, and this may not be 100% accurate but will illustrate my point, fuel in an area is supplied by one or two refineries such as Sasol supplying fuel on the reef, Engen on the East coast of SA and Caltex on the West coast. This means that any fuel you buy in those areas, from whatever fuel station, the base fuel comes from one or two refineries. One exception is Sasol's 10ppm diesel which they are the only ones to make and so the only ones that can supply.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Neuk wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:06 pm
mueneni12 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:42 pmDiesel quality should be the same anywhere in SA, the refineries are the same with the exception of Sasol who supplies their stations directly.
Not entirely, petrol and diesel have to conform to set base specifications no matter who produces them. Sasol is only unique in that part of their fuel production is from coal which enables them to produce lower sulphur content diesel. Generally, and this may not be 100% accurate but will illustrate my point, fuel in an area is supplied by one or two refineries such as Sasol supplying fuel on the reef, Engen on the East coast of SA and Caltex on the West coast. This means that any fuel you buy in those areas, from whatever fuel station, the base fuel comes from one or two refineries. One exception is Sasol's 10ppm diesel which they are the only ones to make and so the only ones that can supply.
Now called: http://www.astronenergy.co.za/company-overview/
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Can't say anything about Puma or Global, but I have been almost exclusively using the MBT 10ppm or 50ppm diesel since I got the Caddy as the garage is 4 blocks from my place (corner Garsfontein and Selati) and never had any issue with their fuel or service.

I saw the diesel filter when the Caddy was serviced at 65 000km and it was not overly dirty or any strange bits in it, so I reckon their fuel is very decent.

That said, unless you are filling up at a garage that looks like it belongs in a Mad Max movie, the fuel will be decent and clean.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by VAG Fan »

Jetta2 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:52 pm Can't say anything about Puma or Global, but I have been almost exclusively using the MBT 10ppm or 50ppm diesel since I got the Caddy as the garage is 4 blocks from my place (corner Garsfontein and Selati) and never had any issue with their fuel or service.

I saw the diesel filter when the Caddy was serviced at 65 000km and it was not overly dirty or any strange bits in it, so I reckon their fuel is very decent.

That said, unless you are filling up at a garage that looks like it belongs in a Mad Max movie, the fuel will be decent and clean.
Ditto, that's exactly the MBT that I also frequent. For all we know, we might have bumped into one another. ;) I'm not quite happy with how the engine runs, but this may not necessarily be the diesel. I'm about to start a little trial to find out.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -