Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.6 TDI

Water in the Oil cap

Post by PeterTech »

Hi guys

I have two question I need help on

(1) I have a 2011 VW Polo 1.6 TDI and I have noticed that after driving in the rain, there will be water on the inside of the oil cap and and gauge stick. The car drives fine and it is not overheating, any ideas on where the water could be making its way into the oil??

(2) Which oil is best suited for this car?? I was using Shell HX7 10W-40 synthetic oil but on my last service the salesman at Goldwagen convinced me to buy and use Shell HX8 5W-40 fully synthetic since he says it is the best oil for the 1.6 TDI engine.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Water in the Oil cap

Post by Ashveer03 »

Water on the oil cap COULD be condensation, but on the dip stick is another story never seen condensation show up on the dip stick.
Do u drive short distances which doesn't allow the engine to fully warm up?
Is the car losing water?

Follow the manufacturers spec from the owners manual regarding oil, the manufacturer gives u a spec and sometimes the viscosity EXAMPLE: 502.00 - then u buy an oil that meets that spec. If the viscosity is not given, then u do some homework.
A 5w40 should be good for that engine though - my opinion

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
PeterTech
Enlisted

Post by PeterTech »

Thank you Ashveer03

The water in the oil only happens when I drive the car when it is raining, otherwise no problem.

Regarding the oil, the car did not come with a user manual. I will have to go to a VW dealer and ask the mechanics on which oil should I use and i will provide feedback on this forum. But since you gave the 5W-40 a thumbs up, I reckon I will stick with it until the next service.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

I honestly don't understand how the issue only occurs when it rains unless water is somehow being sucked into the engine..
Maybe somebody else will have an idea.

Vw recommends castrol magnatec to their customers, not many people are fans of that oil..

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
PeterTech
Enlisted

Post by PeterTech »

I had a mechanic come in and check the car and we decided to replace the oil cap. I will have to drive in the rain and see what happens.

I also went to a VW dealer and one of their guys told me that I can use Castrol 5W-40 magnetic.

You also said that many people are not fans of Castrol magnetic. Anyone who has experience with this oil please share their experiences.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

castrol has a history of causing sludge. That is mostly why people dislike it.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
PeterTech
Enlisted

Post by PeterTech »

Hi guys

I did change the oil cap and the problem seems to be sorted out for now. I will continue monitoring the situation and give feedback.