2.0 tdi once off coolant loss

Gbvl
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

2.0 tdi once off coolant loss

Post by Gbvl »

Evening, i have a 2.0 tdi Golf 7 with 90k on the clock. Cam belt and water pump was replaced recently and had no issues with coolant levels before. I made trip from Thabazimbi to Jhb on Saturday and did not notice any temp issues or warnings. However starting up again Sunday morning i got a low coolant level warning and upon inspection found the coolant level to be low. I topped it up with approx 400mm distilled water and did a trip to Parys and back. Checked the level in between trips since then and the level has not dropped again since.

What could be the possible cause of the initial coolant loss and is it possibly something serious?

I also noticed that since the cam belt and water pump change (done at a RMI dealer suggested on this forum) the coolant is red/orange colour and the reservoir became dull/discoloured and there is residue in the bottom of the reservoir.

grease monkey
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months
Car Make: Golf
Car Model: MK2
Membership No: missing

Re: 2.0 tdi once off coolant loss

Post by grease monkey »

Had the same thing with a 1.9 tdi , after much searching I found the water pipe going onto the oil cooler was cracked just under the clamp and seemed to only leak when the car was switched off. Maybe you have something similiar nearer to the water pump where they disturbed the pipes. Look for runmarks , if your water is discoloured it should leave a light rust coloured mark
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

could have been a simple airlock after pump change. Happens often.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Gbvl
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Gbvl »

panic-mechanic wrote:could have been a simple airlock after pump change. Happens often.
Thanks, i suspect you are correct. I removed and cleaned the residue from the coolant bottle and topped up again. Did a trip to Welkom since then and no further evidence of coolant loss or contamination in the bottle.

I did not click previously that during the trip to Thabazimbi (after which i notice the low coolant level) i had the aircon on but it was a bit too cold and i turned the heater up slightly. I suspect the heater core was empty and full of gunk as i had not used it since the pump change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro